new project

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

new project

Post by curt »

1.jpg
1.jpg (311.58 KiB) Viewed 12435 times
starting a long term project . this is going to be real slow . i have nothing here or even most of the tools as of yet but i am starting with disassembling and cleaning the jig been sitting in the corner for too long . built a little bench on wheels so i can move it around .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: new project

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Bout dammed time!!
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

SANY0163.JPG
SANY0163.JPG (345.2 KiB) Viewed 12430 times
SANY0164.JPG
SANY0164.JPG (285.84 KiB) Viewed 12430 times
SANY0162.JPG
SANY0162.JPG (343.67 KiB) Viewed 12430 times
got it cleaned up seems im going to have to remake a few pieces the control mounts and softail swingarm mounts are missing i cant find them anywhere but i did find the swingarm so it should make it a little easier . wish i had a frame for the top motor mount but i guess i can get that later .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Dusty-Dave wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:38 pm Bout dammed time!!
Dusty
i know unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes but
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

after i build this frame or maybe at the same time i plan to build a springer to go with it . i dont have access to the tools i once had so is there any interest from anyone out there on this site willing to machine a few parts for me . more specifically im looking to have the links on the lower legs and the plates that the springs sit on . these parts are on the plans sf1-0 parts 24 , 27 , 14 , and 33. id rather pay someone here than a local machine shop that has no care about our hobby
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0166.JPG
SANY0166.JPG (259.1 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
SANY0165.JPG
SANY0165.JPG (272.59 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
found enough motor , trans , control , and springer parts to do 2 bikes cant find front motor mount but if anything thats the easy one and 1 steering stem for the trees . all stainless going to be a bitch drilling those trees and spring perches but should polish up like chrome when done
SANY0171.JPG
SANY0171.JPG (346.89 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
SANY0169.JPG
SANY0169.JPG (375.92 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
also found the tube nocher a set of shovelhead cases with primary and a stock triumph frame with bolt on hardtail . everything been sitting so long its all in need of some serious cleaning .oh found a pm front brake setup and billit aluminum forward controls and a couple different kickstand setups also so it looks like i was pulling parts before and forgot what i had
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0174.JPG
SANY0174.JPG (307.27 KiB) Viewed 12392 times
SANY0175.JPG
SANY0175.JPG (296.89 KiB) Viewed 12392 times
SANY0173.JPG
SANY0173.JPG (338.21 KiB) Viewed 12392 times
made a little progress today not all good but .... i got some metal for the neck had to get a new threaded rod the old one got bent in storage somehow need to cut the new one down . then i got a 1x1 square for the front motor mount see a problem with the left forward control some dumbass welded it on backwards . but at least i made the mistake of welding them both on the same height so i was able to just flip the whole mount . seems to fit the shovel motor and primary but tighter than id like . anybody know what the clearance on an evo is i dont have a frame or dummy to check against right now
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0177.JPG
SANY0177.JPG (371.99 KiB) Viewed 12381 times
SANY0179.JPG
SANY0179.JPG (255.2 KiB) Viewed 12381 times
SANY0178.JPG
SANY0178.JPG (287.34 KiB) Viewed 12381 times
got the notcher cleaned up and the bender out of storage . although it dosent show well in the pic the die is very rusty so the whole bender needs a good cleaning and i fixed the position of the control mounts as far as height on the jig now i got to get them settled as far as front to back of the mount . herd from my steel supplier the snow storm in buffalo is going to delay my tubing delivery at least a week maybe more . i guess i got time to sort things out
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0185.JPG
SANY0185.JPG (248.25 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
SANY0184.JPG
SANY0184.JPG (271.48 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
SANY0182.JPG
SANY0182.JPG (279.38 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
SANY0183.JPG
SANY0183.JPG (288.99 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
did a little drilling on 1 inch thick stainless steel slow is your friend . i find if you use an annular cutter bit with carbide teeth the hole is big enough to use 120 wall tube so you dont have to drill all the way through the plate . i think i can go 3/4 inch deep and drill the center hole and still slug the tube and bolt it in still like the plans . little longer bolt and a little deeper in the tube but the tube will still be locked in the plate
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0193.JPG
SANY0193.JPG (304.78 KiB) Viewed 12366 times
SANY0194.JPG
SANY0194.JPG (320.62 KiB) Viewed 12366 times
played around with the post for the softail swingarm today got it positioned where it needs to be . also measured out all the motor and trans positions made sure they were square and level and proper distances . not a lot to show but lots of time . from the rear axl to the front mount im getting less than a 16th variation from the plans hope i can keep it that good when the metal starts getting bent and welded . now if the metal would just show up . tomorrow see if i can get the main spring plate drilled maybe
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0195.JPG
SANY0195.JPG (315.19 KiB) Viewed 12360 times
tube showed up so i spent some time putting the 17 degree bevel on the motor and trans mounts . slow going with a rotary file and drill press but should be a nice tight fit
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0196.JPG
SANY0196.JPG (344.79 KiB) Viewed 12356 times
SANY0197.JPG
SANY0197.JPG (344.71 KiB) Viewed 12356 times
got the bender setup and bending today notched out the wishbones took about 6 tries and a used hole saw to get them perfect . tomorrow i plan to clean up the notches and tube to tack everything together
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nice man...glad to see you building again.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0199.JPG
SANY0199.JPG (370.16 KiB) Viewed 12305 times
SANY0198.JPG
SANY0198.JPG (429.31 KiB) Viewed 12305 times
its good to be back at it but i been stuck working on the daily . took a week to get the timing chains and tensioners should have the torque to yield crank and jackshaft bolt tomorrow . what is it with having to wait for everything anymore and not just a day or so but a week or more
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0202.JPG
SANY0202.JPG (386.01 KiB) Viewed 12294 times
got my garage back had some time to clean the notches and a little tack welding . got to work on the seat post tube so i can lock it in and start the bottom tubes

Return to “Frame Fabrication”