new project

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.
I have a little experience fabricating things.
Hoping the yahoo e-mail account doesn't disqualify me from being a member here.

Re: new project

Post by drivermark »

Thanks for the kind words.
I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

Jeff L wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:41 pm Definitely some nice looking parts he made
i cant wait to see them on
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

th.jpg
th.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 9157 times
anyone have one of these they would be willing to take some measurements for me
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
lamf
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: it's me, gary a. from michigan ... haven't logged into the handbook forum fro a while ... tried to login in under my lamf screen name ... can't get in ... ??? ... let me in dan! ... you there big jim?

Post by lamf »

This page has some measurements on it. Scroll through the tank pics.

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products ... n-gas-tank
Last edited by lamf on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
息をするたびに人生を知る
Iki o suru tabi ni jinsei o shiru
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i saw that one thanks i was hoping to get a few more measurements theres also a longer wider version
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Whenever I am designing a new tank, I just make a cardboard mock-up so I can adjust the size and shape to exactly what I think looks and feels just right.....
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

lamf
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: it's me, gary a. from michigan ... haven't logged into the handbook forum fro a while ... tried to login in under my lamf screen name ... can't get in ... ??? ... let me in dan! ... you there big jim?

Post by lamf »

I knew I had some plans like this somewhere. It was bugging me. Found them on my old 20 year old computer. Still works. Windows ME. lol
casket tank plans 2.jpg
casket tank plans 2.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
2640b.jpg
2640b.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
息をするたびに人生を知る
Iki o suru tabi ni jinsei o shiru
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

cool thanks
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0220.JPG
SANY0220.JPG (372.22 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
SANY0219.JPG
SANY0219.JPG (275.64 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
SANY0218.JPG
SANY0218.JPG (357.9 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
finally able to afford more tube . picked it up yesterday and got the one side bent up today . finally got it right only took 3 tries . 26 inches 40 deg bend 4 inches another 40 deg bend 22 inches 11 deg in and 25 up . i also found using one of those cheap magnetic laser levels stuck to the bottom of the backbone makes it easier to mark the cut on the down tube tomorrow other side hopefully
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0227.JPG
SANY0227.JPG (335.43 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
SANY0225.JPG
SANY0225.JPG (311.56 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
SANY0226.JPG
SANY0226.JPG (393.04 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
SANY0222.JPG
SANY0222.JPG (301.56 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
finally got all the tube bent now i need to spend some time cleaning everything up so i can start welding everything up . still need to make the cross pieces for the rear wishbones top and bottom and the rear trans mount and all the gussets
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.
I have a little experience fabricating things.
Hoping the yahoo e-mail account doesn't disqualify me from being a member here.

Post by drivermark »

Looking good Curt. The Softail swingarm ya had sitting on the jig in an earlier post had me thinking you were building a ST frame, silly me.
I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i was going to but i am missing a few pieces to the jig for the front shock mounts and nobody i know has a stock frame right now i can mount in the jig to make a few pieces . i do have the plans and could measure it out but i had all the pieces for the hardtail already made and i do like hardtails better . i seem to have lost a bunch of stuff when i moved to the new house
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0230.JPG
SANY0230.JPG (282.95 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
SANY0229.JPG
SANY0229.JPG (254.03 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
not lots of progress this weekend i did manage to clean up all the cope joints and everywhere its going to be welded . also made a few decorative add on pieces and started to make the neck reinforcements . hopefully next weekend i can finish up the bracing and atleast start the welding
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

SANY0231.JPG
SANY0231.JPG (415.85 KiB) Viewed 9056 times
i ordered this last weekend from swag offroad showed up today put it together and made a few cuts just to play a little . found the miter gauge needed a block of wood because 1/8 plate fits under the fence on the gauge so it wouldn't cut strait . if i had known how well this works i would have bought one of these years ago possibly a full size . i mean ive had portabands for years but never thought about setting one up like this before . i highly recommend one of these even if you make the table yourself it should be able to cut out all the frame and front end pieces for anything we need for bike stuff . tomorrow ill have to start making the bracing for the neck should be much better than the cutoff wheel
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Frame is moving right along Curt, looking good.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Frame Fabrication”