noteson trike building

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Re: noteson trike building

Post by Fat Mike »

Know what ya mean..lots of difference in the balance.

Took this pis of a mid-engine a few monts ago.
Thought that it had a nice layout.
NSFM
Attachments
xoo.jpg
xoo.jpg (60.74 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
If it has two wheels---trike it.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Yeah , I knew a guy back in the '70s that mated a corvair engine to a VW trans and triked it !

Since he had to create an adaptor anyway he used the one he made to gap the engine about 18" ahead of the trans and made the whole assembly a stressed member of the frame !

When/if he wheelied it was 'cause he wanted to !
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

much better weight distribution than rear engined but altogether much harder to build and get right......nice job :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Fat Mike
Tourist
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

gearhead1951 wrote:Yeah , I knew a guy back in the '70s that mated a corvair engine to a VW trans and triked it !

Since he had to create an adaptor anyway he used the one he made to gap the engine about 18" ahead of the trans and made the whole assembly a stressed member of the frame !

When/if he wheelied it was 'cause he wanted to !
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Yup they have kits for everything now. One company have adapter plates for just about any motor up to a 454cu for VW setups.
One will supply the shaft for the extra trans case to put a VW motor up front.
Not like the old days of cutting and hacking.
Me I build em' a little long and try to get 80lbs under the front wheel with out me on it without using any extra weight anyhere up front.

NSFM
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

It looks like you have this VW trike thing all figured out dude :clap: :bow-blue:

Maz xx

Fat Mike
Tourist

Post by Fat Mike »

Not really..new things come along every day.
Ya build something, someone sees it and new and improves it when they build something.
Big thing is not to build something that will be unsafe..
I've had to repair more cobbled up welds, bad fabrication than I care to talk about.

NSFM
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

I have to agree with you dude - there are far too many dodgy "customs" out there often built by folks who should know better :hand: hopefully the folks on here will look at your posts (and some of the other good stuff on here) and if they want to try building something they haven't done before will be inspired to do it properly :pray:

I've only built a handfull of trikes but I used to build hot-rods as well as bikes so I have a better understanding than some about using big motors in light-weight chassis.....but like you say, we are always learning.......... :think:

Keep posting dude - you have a good eye for stuff :clap:

Maz xx

Fat Mike
Tourist

Post by Fat Mike »

budoka wrote:wow, that trike is sweet, and i see you like Dodges too. by all means, do proceed!!! :popcorn:

-dan
Everyone laughs at me for having the Dodge Diesels as daily drivers,
They just plain fun to drive. :dance:

NSFM
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

yeah but some of us drive Nissans when we are not riding chops....... :hand:

Maz xx

gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I saw the cadillac reference on the other post here , I aint that familiar with that year/model but if it is fwd and the engine is fore and aft instead of transverse then yer trike is almost built for you already !

Separate the engine from the transaxle as much as needed to get the rear wheels where you want them and the build yer frame !

I've advocated rear radiators several times here and there !!
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Hard to believe that it has been 10 years since i last posted here, Has anyone completed any of the projects posted here??

Return to “Trike Building”