noteson trike building

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

noteson trike building

Post by gearhead1951 »

notes on trike drive trains
by gearhead1951 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 am

some fwd cars have the diff secured by two end bells bolted to the xmission case , these contain the outer bearing races for the diff . This type of construction has a cover that allows the diff to be removed after the ends have been removed .

Chrysler products are where I usually find these . The ones I am familiar with have the end bells made of aluminum .

Make up new end bells to include the internal bearings for the axles to turn on plus a journal for external bearings for the housing to turn on in the frame . The new end bells ARE the housing and are bolted to the diff thru the holes the ring gear was attached at and support the ends of the diff by the bearing journals (minus bearings)

fwd front wheel bearings work well for the external part . you can use the steering knuckle as is to support the diff this way

You can make the housing with a flange to bolt a sprocket to or build it so the sprocket is captured by one of the new end bells against the diff flange!

If you use all sealed bearings you might not need oil seals , But I would include them anyway

If you have the complete engine/drive train package from a fwd car you could trike it in a different way by separating the trans from the engine complete with the fly wheel , as you create the frame build a plate to bolt the trans to that incorporates a shaft and bearing the carry the fly wheel and clutch on the one side and a sprocket on the other !

Set the engine in place across the frame . with the engine directly in front of the trans and placed as far forward as you wish you then need a jackshaft to connect the engine to the trans !

To clarify , the trans is moved fron the end of the crank to a new position behind the engine with the fly wheel and clutch attached and the fly wheel end now on the timing side of the engine !

Chain drive from the crank to a jack shaft and also form the jack shaft to the trans input shaft !

You can separate the engine and transaxle as far as you wish and use the original irs if you choose but you WILL have to adjust the length of the half shafts (really not that difficult)

If any one has questions I will happily reply !

Bob (Gearhead) KingIgnorance is curable with education , Stupidity is terminal !gearhead1951
Builder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: notes on trike drive trains
by Maz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks Bob for posting a full version of the advice you gave me - I think it will be of great value to many trike builders

Maz xxBlonde, blue eyes, English Biker Mistress - how's that for scary????
Maz
I need a life

Website Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by gearhead1951 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 am

A few different posts I been followin' gave me this idea !

If you have a relativly large displacement unit construction bike engine you want to trike , consider usin' a fwd cars xmission !

Gut the bikes trans and have a shaft machined to fit the case that will take the original bike clutch on one end and a sprocket on the other , this shaft is to be supported by the original case bearing on the input side and a new plate that bolts on in place of the original on the other end , This is your jack shaft !

Now you can either modify the trans to remove the cast in bell housing and create new mounting points for it or not as you wish , but the positioning of the trans can allow either a traditional trike configuration or a bike/hack look (in racin' circles this is known as a "worm")!

In any case you will have to deal with the "H" pattern automotive shift or go with an automatic trans , each has its Pros and Cons !

The best things about this setup is that you can "tune" the engine to the trans and wheel sizes by playin' with the sprocket sizes and if you later wish to use the bike engine in a 2 wheeler the original trans has not been damaged and can be returned to stock spec easily !

Ignorance is curable with education , Stupidity is terminal !gearhead1951
Builder

by budoka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 am

hmmm, definitely food for thought. if i were in the States, you would probably have just cost me a trip to the junkyard (or backyard, since i *still* have a few cars sitting around at my old man's place, LOL).

i really do have to start researching the regs here related to trikes. you guys are gonna make me build one yet.

-dan-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin

WebsiteICQYIM Top

by oadamo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

think this is what your on about, i dont this a few years back when i fitted a cbr1000 engine into a small car but the diff setup could be used on a trike easy. it didnt look pretty but it worked and never broke if i had a lathe then and a miller i could of done a lot better job of it.
adam

oadamo
Stalker

by gearhead1951 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Yeah , thats it !!Ignorance is curable with education , Stupidity is terminal !gearhead1951
Builder

by gearhead1951 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 am

Another thing to consider is to run yer brakes "inboard" (close up to yer diff) ! This a good idea for ridgid or sprung because of the amount of weight it removes from the ends of the axles !! Ignorance is curable with education , Stupidity is terminal !gearhead1951
Builder

by Yona » Thu May 26, 2011 9:43 am

3 Series BMW's have a nice IRS setup ...aluminum center and you could use some tube A-arms for small car...mount the diff solid and mate the trans to the diff with a u-joint ...or CV....doing the metalwork on a Austin Healey 3000 MkII and the garage across the yard has some for sale for $150.00 each...would like to do a VTX1600...LOLDon't poke a bear with a short stick!

I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.

I only work on scoots I like,When I feel like it,If it pays enough!

I hear ya'll have 2 village idiots, ..where's the other one?

If ya get a s#@t sandwich.......just eat the crust!!

Yona
Contributor

I couldn't get the pics to transfer , but I thought this might be worth savin' !!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Re: noteson trike building

Post by Maz »

Did you mean these pics?
P1010017-1.jpg
P1010017-1.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
P1010018-2.jpg
P1010018-2.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
P1010023.jpg
P1010023.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
P1010101.jpg
P1010101.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

just a thought but lookin at the pics wouldnt it be beter to weld a plate to bolt the sprocket on so when it wears out u wont have to cut and reweld the sprocket
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Yes ma,am , thems the ones ! Thank you for providing !!

:clap: :bow-blue: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

I saw that too Curt , but let it lie 'cause he did say he wuz already modifying it to make it better ! (good catch tho )
:text-goodpost:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

just tryin to help looks like an intresting build
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

Stanndard ol' VW tirke building.
NSFM
Attachments
Still stuck in VW land
Still stuck in VW land
IMGP0663.JPG (135.25 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
If it has two wheels---trike it.
Fat Mike
Tourist
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

Vother shot of frame in early stage.
NSFM
Attachments
fm8.jpg
fm8.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Fat Mike
Tourist

Post by Fat Mike »

Almost done
NSFM
Attachments
IMGP0793a.jpg
IMGP0793a.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

That has a nice stance to it dude :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Fat Mike
Tourist

Post by Fat Mike »

I found a set of 12" wide steel chrome rims with a VW bolt pattern.
Kinda wide at the back. (real wide) and tis long. :drool:

NSFM
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hello there, welcome to the forum. The trike looks way cool and i bet it will be real fun riding it, good job man. :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Fat Mike
Tourist

Post by Fat Mike »

Shot of the back,,note GM 1 wire alternator xonversion,

NSFM
Attachments
2307978IMGP0791a.jpg
2307978IMGP0791a.jpg (87.37 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

wow, that trike is sweet, and i see you like Dodges too. by all means, do proceed!!! :popcorn:

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

I'm partial to the ones with the engine ahead of the transaxle (porche style) !!

Sure cuts down on unintentional wheelys !! :auto-dirtbike: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “Trike Building”