Two seater trike

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Two seater trike

Post by concrete guy »

Doing this for a friend in Maryland.

Working with an old Audi rear. Here are the original axles that I later took 4" off each side.

Changed the bolt pattern from metric to 4.5".

Running 15x8 wheels with 26" x 10 Mickey Thompson radials

Cutting off old axle plates

A rough mock up before I commit to bending the wishbones.

I really have converted to using masking tape for marking tangent points and rotation points. If you have a good eye you can wrap it squarely around a tube.

Wishbones bent and for the most part coped and fitted.

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Two seater trike

Post by budoka »

looks like the beginnings of something good, Scott. what's gonna be powering it?

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

budoka wrote:looks like the beginnings of something good, Scott. what's gonna be powering it?

take care,
-dan
Hey Dan! Long time no chat 8)

It will be powered with a custom mill. Delkron cases with P-series heads from S&S. Record holder, Kirby Apathy, is working on the heads right now. I am also building him a Harman girder thanks to John (HoseDragger) for sending me some spare springs he had laying around.

This is a build that is a callaboration of many friends. My friend got severly short changed on an engine build by another well know builder and is having to start over. My friend is a major gearhead but health issues have prevented him from doing his own engine work and riding a two wheeler anymore. A long narrow trike has always been his dream so we are doing our best to make this happen.

The rear is narrow, 25.5" inside of rubber to rubber and that is the main reason for a drop seat frame. Keeping the center of gravity low.

I hope that all is well with you and your family.
Take care,
Scott

sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Nice looking lines. 25.5 inch rubber to rubber can only add to its appeal.

Did you send your axles out for cut and re-spline or do them inhouse?
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Man...I got to get in here more often....some cool stuff being made in here.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Long and narrow, I've never seen one done like this.Does the girder need to be heavier for a trike Build?
concrete guy
Lurker

Post by concrete guy »

I did the axles myself after talking with my old friend that is a machinist/drag racer. What I did is cut the axle off at the bearing journal and then I bored them out from the flange side all the way through. I prepped the flange side for a socket wels and then pressed the axles in through the journal. After welding, I then drilled the journal where the out seal would go to accept a hardened pin and it was also tigged in and machined flush. Quick and easy.

I have never built a trike before but I have a local friend that has built close to 2 dozen VW trikes. Nothing special for the fronts forks in his eyes.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thats some real nice tube bending there and real good tip with the masking tape i use it all the time it makes it a lot easier when you cut 2 tubes at the same time then measure and tape em both before you bend you know both are going to be bent in exactly the same place
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hose_dragger
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Former member of CBH....learning the ways to chop. Had a few bikes before....a few now...and lots more to come. Currently on a trike build, and a bike build. Thanks for having me back on board Dan. Hopefully I will do you guys proud!

Post by hose_dragger »

Scott....I just noticed this thread man. The trike is looking killer! Keep at it man as an inspiration for the rest of us to get off our butts!
concrete guy
Lurker

Post by concrete guy »

Thanks guys

John, here soon I am gong to have to give you a call so we can talk a little. I thought I was going to call you a few months back but like always I got sidetracked with life. Hope you are doing well.....Scott
concrete guy
Lurker

Post by concrete guy »

I couldn't stand the way the wishbones looked so I changed them up. I am a lot happier with the looks of these.

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

you are SO making it hard on me to be patient... i shoulda called you and had a chat about flywheel balancing before sending mine out (9 months ago :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-fire: :angry-steamingears: :crying-blue: :crying-green: ).

glad to see you're getting some work done, though. i liked the old wishbones, but the new ones are the bees' knees for sure.

make sure to keep posting the progress, some of us are depending on it for sanity.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
concrete guy
Lurker

Post by concrete guy »

Thanks Dan. I sure wish we would have talked also about balancing your wheels. It really a pretty easy job to do. Just like anything else we do it seems intimidating at first but once you get rolling it goes pretty quick. I guess I would have a hard time accepting 9 months even if the guy was doing it for free. I balanced my wheels in less than 2 hours. Now I just need to assemble them 8). My Pan got put on the shelf for awhile but should be back on it this winter.

Thanks for the kind words Dan.
concrete guy
Lurker

Post by concrete guy »

budoka
Site Admin

Post by budoka »

Scott, have i ever told you how much i hate you? it's just the envy talking though, so don't take it personally. seriously though, your progress looks great and is the next best thing to me doing it myself. oh, to be building! what sweet joy.

good news is, my wheels are back in Yamanashi, anyway. now, i can go lay my hands on them whenever i get fed up with all the BS i'm gettin'. i fully expect i'll still need to be pickin' your brain about the balancing after they get back in my hands, since i have absolutely NO faith that my wheels will be balanced right, if at all. i *know* that absolutely nothing was done to them while they were gone for 9 months, and now the guy that sent them out to be balanced because he couldn't balance them is balancing them? hmmm, what don't seem right here? i'm mad, pissed, and angry, and if/when my parts get back in my hands, NONE of my parts will ever leave my presence again. okay, sorry for the highjacking, rant over. proceed with the trike awesomeness, that is this thread!

-dan

Return to “Trike Building”