Chopper trike

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
Iron Sticks
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is John, I'm a union electrician in NY. I own a Honda VTX1800 Motortrike. I'm currently building a custom Covington/Mystery Designs trike. This will be my first ground up build and trying to get as much information as I can to make this project go as smoothly as possible.

Chopper trike

Post by Iron Sticks »

Hey all, just wanted to say hi and show you all what I'm building. It's a Custom trike frame built by Racing Innovations in Oklahoma. It's based on the "Outlaw" trike built by Covingtons Cycle. The rear section is a Mystery Designs IRS with Tricky Air shocks and the front end has a Tricky Air springer type suspension. Hope you all like it.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out the window of a moving car.
Iron Sticks
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is John, I'm a union electrician in NY. I own a Honda VTX1800 Motortrike. I'm currently building a custom Covington/Mystery Designs trike. This will be my first ground up build and trying to get as much information as I can to make this project go as smoothly as possible.

Re: Chopper trike

Post by Iron Sticks »

I don't know why my pics got cut off??? If someone can tell me how to fix the problem I will gladly do so.
Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

Here are a few parts I made recently.

Taillights made from old Sure Microphones

Floorboards and foot controls from Ludwig Bass Drum Pedals and stock Harley Sportster Foot Pedals. The mounts I made from 1/2" stainless plate and round bar.

Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

Here are the wheels there American Racing with a three bar spinner and white walls I got from Radir Wheels. I had the front wheel and hubs cut to match the rear I just have to have the center powder coated and the hubs polished to match. Big thanks to Lengends Machine for that.

The speedometer is a cool piece from Speedhut that they custom made the gauge face for me. Whats really cool there is no need for a sending unit b/c it runs on a GPS signal. The bucket I'm making out of 4" stainless steel flexible exhaust tubing. I'm thinking I will mount it off the upper motor mount so ill be able to hide the coil inside the bucket. That's why it's so tall at the moment. I don't have the coil yet to finish the fab work.

sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Like the look of the halibrand style wheels with spinners and the wide whites.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Very fine looking trike you have going there.
Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

Thanks guys, it feels like its taking forever but when finances and life get involved......I'm just happy to be able to continue.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

that's a nice looking trike, for sure. wonder how that GPS speedo holds up to vibration? just thinking out loud, there.

i dig the wheels, too. i've been throwing an idea or two about some car wheels around in my head for a while now. anyway, don't sweat the time it takes. just take it one little step at a time and you'll get there before you know it.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

Thanks Dan, I was concerned about that as well although it wasn't my first concern. The speedo was designed for automobiles so its not exactly weatherproof although everything is a tight fit I'm still going to seal it up real well. As far as vibration goes I was going to come up with a way to rubber mount it to alleviate that issue. The last issue I thought of was having the coil mounted so close to it that the electrical signal from the coil might interfere with the speedo operation. I have an idea for that as well but the only way I'm gunna find out is when it's running. I guess only time will tell.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The whole trike is great with all the brass accents, the wheels, air springer.

Is the ground clearance going to be sufficient? Looks close at the base of your downtubes.
Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

Thank you there's still more brass accents I haven't put on yet but I'm gunna take better pics soon when the weather clears up here. At the moment it's low b/c there's no air in the suspension, its still 2" off the ground. When it's loaded It will have 4.5-5" of ground clearance.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Iron Sticks wrote: it's low b/c there's no air in the suspension,
Yeah, that makes sense.

Great details , controls...thats a first here. Tail lights....you in a band?
Iron Sticks
NewB

Post by Iron Sticks »

No but my first passion was cars and I saw someone use the bass drum pedal as a throttle pedal once, thought it was cool, and adapted the idea to my build. The taillights were a brainstorm I had one night, which started a theme for the build, so I've been keeping with it. I do get a lot of my ideas from the Rat Rod scene which has a lot of "band type" people in it.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Very nice project all around. Lots of neat unusual features.
Looking forward to the progress...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Great project! Love the rims with wide white walls and a Panhead.

Return to “Trike Building”