Front engined VW

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: Front engined VW

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Looking gooder! Has it been for a ride yet?
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: A backwoods redneck from way down south.
Own a custom manufacturing company.
Ain't scared to build anything that I can dream up.
Have had a motorcycle since I was 10, 52 now.
Currently ride a handbuilt trike

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

It went on its first test ride this evening.
Lots and lots of tuning yet to go.
But it is an arm stretcher already.

The drop pivot linked shocker front end seems to work.
Stable and controllable. Not twitchy at all with very low trail.
Less than an inch.
15198619045040.jpg
15198619045040.jpg (106.14 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Worked on that tuning a bit. Got a lot closer. Lots better running. Still a bit lean off cam. All the changing blew up all the idle settings, now to run that back down. But anyway....learning as I go.

It did catch me a bit off guard with a second gear wheelie coming on at around 40mph ...
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Kept working with that tuning.
Got is running better off cam and smoothed down the sudden jolt onto the cam power range.
I was having fun gurgling around and short shifting....
Then I started tuning on the headers.
Wow....what a difference.....I no longer have an off cam rpm.
Ridiculous begins right above idle and goes to 7500....all before you know what to do with it.
15225958499671.jpg
15225958499671.jpg (176.94 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
15226365637340.jpg
15226365637340.jpg (175.81 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
15225958960364.jpg
15225958960364.jpg (130.89 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

wow, that's gorgeous! sounds like a blast to ride, too. did you have any trouble registering it? or have you done that yet? what would it even be registered as?

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

It has been registered for a long time.
The rules are state by state......my state is very lax.
It is what is stamped on the neck.....period.
I was required to stamp the engine as it is a replacement and had no number.

So it is a numbers matching 1985 Honda goldwing and is a registered and documented antique with permanent plates. No more taxes or inspections. No restrictions no mileage limits.

It made some hp.
15233623633490.jpg
15233623633490.jpg (89.42 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
And broke the trans in third gear.
The trans is built....should hold 200hp....but I did around 225 at the crank. Something is going on with 3-4 hub. Gears are still there. But not shifting right and syncros dont work. No gear whine but all loose and clunky like backlash. Just checked the shaft end but and is tight and shaft not moving in- out. So I am guessing a thrust bearing inside.
Will be pulling trans back down soon.
devilman
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey, how about. I'm Schulz Francisco Santiago, Chile. I am a mechanic and welder, and while working in the manufacture of live traps for almost all animals my true passion are the vehicles, automobiles and motorcycles, restoration of some and making other. I congratulate you sign up for this well of knowledge, im participate in other free information community, chatarrero rat rodders Argentina, where we arrived at interesting things about how and why. Personally I have a collection of more less interesting automobiles and motorcycles, a Mercedes Benz 250 1972 automatic in restoration , a 1967 Chevy II soon to be revived as scrap pick up, and clearly my motorcycles, a Honda CB 450 Nighthawk modified as between wars bike is my current project Is a beautifull engine. I'm making the girder fork at this time, a bobber carried Motorrad, my vehicle abitual a Maico MD 250 awaiting restoration parts for, a Yamaha Enticer waiting for a change of 350 cc engine, a BMW R-67, 1954 waiting also a part of the starting lever. Also chassis, engines, tires, and parts to make what I can think of.

I think i can help and contribute in this community.

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

What gearbox you use?

Never argue with an idiot, low to his level and beat you by experience.
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

A heavily modified vw type 1 swing axle.
DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

So what it was.....
The aftermarket hub and slider on 3-4 deformed a bit. With the hub out of round the slider did not line up with the synchro. I broke the brass sychro rings continuing to drive it.
15236616619060.jpg
15236616619060.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
15237318229700.jpg
15237318229700.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 4791 times

Now I am told that an original German hub is better and use the aftermarket slider.
So it all went back together with used parts.
15247008558320.jpg
15247008558320.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
And I am back in the wind.
No more full throttle dyno pulls for me. It is easier to accelerate the bike than the dyno.
15263497470090.jpg
15263497470090.jpg (96.55 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
devilman
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey, how about. I'm Schulz Francisco Santiago, Chile. I am a mechanic and welder, and while working in the manufacture of live traps for almost all animals my true passion are the vehicles, automobiles and motorcycles, restoration of some and making other. I congratulate you sign up for this well of knowledge, im participate in other free information community, chatarrero rat rodders Argentina, where we arrived at interesting things about how and why. Personally I have a collection of more less interesting automobiles and motorcycles, a Mercedes Benz 250 1972 automatic in restoration , a 1967 Chevy II soon to be revived as scrap pick up, and clearly my motorcycles, a Honda CB 450 Nighthawk modified as between wars bike is my current project Is a beautifull engine. I'm making the girder fork at this time, a bobber carried Motorrad, my vehicle abitual a Maico MD 250 awaiting restoration parts for, a Yamaha Enticer waiting for a change of 350 cc engine, a BMW R-67, 1954 waiting also a part of the starting lever. Also chassis, engines, tires, and parts to make what I can think of.

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Nice ride and beautidull job! Congrats!

A question, you turn over the internal differential, right? Is much complicate?

DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

You can reverse the trans output by "flipping the diff".
Which is removing the differential and ring gear from the case and then installing it from the other side.
You need all the appropriate gaskets and then re-shim the ring and pinion gear mesh and backlash. Fairly simple to do.

Mine is not done this way.
I flipped the entire trans, not just the gear.
The trans has to be fully disassembled and internal machine work done to the oil passages.
A bit extreme.....but.....it makes the drive line about 6 inches lower than it would be in the original car.
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Thanx men! A other question, YouTube know how muchas power accept this Gearbox?

DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

All depends on how you treat it.
You can take a stock 40hp beetle and put slicks on it. Then rev it up and dump the clutch and break the trans.

But if you do not impact (clutch dump) or put drag slicks on it. Then it will handle as much as double the power it was
designed for in stock form.
At around 100hp you start breaking parts.
Just a few internal upgrades and it will handle up to 200hp.
After 200hp the modifications become large and expensive.

Mine is extensive.....I am putting around 225hp into mine and it is having problems holding it.
devilman
Tourist

A hug for a distance.

Post by devilman »

Wow, 225 HP is too much... Ive thinking in 150 HP. The Specs of the engine is un the post right?

DeathBySnuSnu
Stalker

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

So.....
I lost a couple reply post in the site down time. No biggie.

The scooter has been running a while now. Some interesting developments though.
I finished (put the end cone on) the reversion can on the collector. I had left it open.....well.....cuz it sounded cool.
But good gawd what a difference that made. I doubt the peak hp is any different but getting there has gotten a lot more fun.
I am running a 270 @.050 cam so it dont come in until around 3000 to 3500 rpm. With the cans it now pulls hard off cam. You can sport around banging gears and an occasional wheelie all day long without ever even getting to the cam turn on point. And then on cam it is still a power house screamer. The thing sounds way more like a motorcycle than a v dub.

I went to a bike rally and it was popular to look at....but overall they did not have a clue what all went into it.
I have been to a couple hot rod car rally's and them guys understand what all it is.
My friends get a kick out of me trying to explain it.....lol

Return to “Trike Building”