gonna be a slow build

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

gonna be a slow build

Post by sleepyonthree »

Okay, put my thread back in so I'll have a pickup point when I get back to it.
Attachments
starting with the uncut donor axle
starting with the uncut donor axle
uncut axle.JPG (75.32 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
not the same axle but shows how much it was shortened  32 in back plate to back plate
not the same axle but shows how much it was shortened 32 in back plate to back plate
cut axle hsg.JPG (20.37 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
cut axle bolted together for welding
cut axle bolted together for welding
axle fixture.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
electrolysis set up with laundry soda to help remove rust
electrolysis set up with laundry soda to help remove rust
Laundry Soda barrell.JPG (135.03 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
workin up the axle plates
workin up the axle plates
starting axle plates.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
axles plate
axles plate
axle plate.JPG (120.88 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Re: gonna be a slow build

Post by sleepyonthree »

and a continuation.
Attachments
getting the tail frame put together
getting the tail frame put together
started on tail.JPG (140.16 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
made myself a purty neck fixture
made myself a purty neck fixture
neck fixture.JPG (126.14 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
getting the big chunks set in place
getting the big chunks set in place
gittin mocked up.JPG (82.39 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
double cardan made from the cut down driveshaft
double cardan made from the cut down driveshaft
double cardan.JPG (116.45 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
fitting bottom rails
fitting bottom rails
starting bottom tubes.JPG (62.99 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
bottom rails takin shape
bottom rails takin shape
HPIM0652.JPG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

some more
Attachments
adding the top rails
adding the top rails
top rails.JPG (136.97 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
makin the neck a bit more solid
makin the neck a bit more solid
building up the neck.JPG (121.88 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
some scraps to hold things in place
some scraps to hold things in place
wood jig for engine mounts.JPG (118.72 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
using drill and flat file to turn down inner sleeves for motor mounts
using drill and flat file to turn down inner sleeves for motor mounts
old fashined lathing.JPG (115.36 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
engine mounts.JPG
engine mounts.JPG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

the donor motor. A 350 from and old camper. 1689xx mi on broken odometer. turned out to be a crate replacement with about 5000 mi on it.
Attachments
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 6891 times
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Very cool and nice work there sleepyonthree. I have also been thinking about making a trike, i have a spare turbo 350 transmission in good shape plus rear end and a 350 engine to use. Engine needs a bit of rebuild but would be cool for a kick ass trike build. Time will tell :bow-blue: :clap: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

you know, i was wondering if you were making any progress on this. get on it man, this is an awesome project!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

:popcorn: :D
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Thought for a minute you were building an Olds Trike with that Rocket valve cover. Good job.
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

jimmib wrote:Thought for a minute you were building an Olds Trike with that Rocket valve cover. Good job.
Jim

Found them in my stash while rummaging about. Strongly considering making and adapter plate to use them on the chevy motor.
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

That would be a cool touch!
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I still love the way you cleaned up the differential, way cool...

I asked you before about your plan to remove the motor ater the frame is complete, in case you needed to swap it out.
I think you said the plan was to just take it apart while in the frame.
Have you considered pinning the top backbone so it could be removed?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

railroad bob wrote:I still love the way you cleaned up the differential, way cool...
I asked you before about your plan to remove the motor ater the frame is complete, in case you needed to swap it out.
I think you said the plan was to just take it apart while in the frame.
Have you considered pinning the top backbone so it could be removed?
The electrolysis bath sure makes for less time in the blast cabinent and it only does the rust, good metal remains untouched.

Had considered a removable backbone, but given the easy access to the motor I went all welded. The motor I'm using for mockup is a bare unit, once the real ones in place if I pull it out its to take it apart anyhoo so mights well do it from the outset.
Last edited by sleepyonthree on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

Whoops, to quick(spastic) on the keys. :roll:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, very interesting...... :think: now where can I find a large V8 and autobox......? :shhh: :shifty: :snooty: :dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

sleepyonthree
Stalker

Post by sleepyonthree »

Maz wrote:hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, very interesting...... :think: now where can I find a large V8 and autobox......? :shhh: :shifty: :snooty: :dance:

Maz xx

The Rover V8 makes for a good looking trike.

Return to “Trike Building”