oadamo trike build

Use this area for Trike fabrication posts.
oadamo
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi my names adam. iam from the west midlands and iam building a trike at the moment for a mate, but iam going to build my own chopper bike after i finish the trike. but in the mean time iam collecting parts ready for the big build.

oadamo trike build

Post by oadamo »

hi guys nice to see you all again, the new forum looks good. ill start my trike build log again theres been a bit more progress but its going slow at the moment i just have to much on at work, plus iam looking into buying a narrow boat at the moment :D so i havent had much time to myself.
ive got my hands on an axle that i had to strip down so i have replaced the shafts with slainless steel ones, i just have to paint the rest now.
the trike is going to be hardtail just for the looks as when we tryed with the subaru axles it just didnt look right.
ive got my hands on some 14in wide rims and ive taken the centers out my made the offset so it covers most of the axle so it should look better. ill put some more pics up soon.
adam

jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Re: oadamo trike build

Post by jonester123 »

Hi oadamo, glad you made it over to the new forum. I will keep an eye on your build since i am thinking in the future to build my own trike, but i need to gain the knowledge and figure out the look i want . Good luck man looking good so far. :clap: :D
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

From what I can see that looks like an old ford "banjo" axle ! Good find if so , if it is and you need any pars go to www.speedway.com !! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

gearhead, is this the link you wanted to post? http://www.speedwaymotors.com
Looks similar, but is that an aluminum center? Haven't seen a banjo with those ribs. I have used the banjo's in a couple of rods. Changed to 9" ford axles and brakes and went to open driveshaft. You can also buy these new from Winters.
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

I've done some ordering from Speedway.
Nice prices and great to deal with. The speed shops here have a big head attitude as well as prices.

9' Fords can be had here at a good price.
Ever use a bolt on rear caliper kit for a GM or Ford?
I have a Mustang single pot mc and a booster to use for the back brakes.

NSFM
If it has two wheels---trike it.
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Fat Mike wrote:I've done some ordering from Speedway.
Nice prices and great to deal with. The speed shops here have a big head attitude as well as prices.

9' Fords can be had here at a good price.
Ever use a bolt on rear caliper kit for a GM or Ford?
I have a Mustang single pot mc and a booster to use for the back brakes.

NSFM
Yep, I have used them and the weld on brackets for the GM calipers like below.
91641005_R.jpg
91641005_R.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

That assembly is like a banjo , but the thing doesn't look EXACTLY like the ford ones I am familiar with !

I aint claiming to know each and every change made to those rears over the years , but that does tic most of the "ford banjo diff" boxes !

I would be very interested to learn just what it DID come out of ?! :think: :confusion-shrug: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

jimmib wrote:

NSFM
91641005_R.jpg
Any prefernace as to which one might be the better bracket to use than the other?

NSFM
If it has two wheels---trike it.
jimmib
Lurker

Post by jimmib »

gearhead1951 wrote:That assembly is like a banjo , but the thing doesn't look EXACTLY like the ford ones I am familiar with !

I aint claiming to know each and every change made to those rears over the years , but that does tic most of the "ford banjo diff" boxes !

I would be very interested to learn just what it DID come out of ?! :think: :confusion-shrug: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I wasn't saying that I did either and hope you don't think I was trying to prove you wrong. I would like to know what it came out of too. Maybe oadoma will enlighten us.
jimmib
Lurker

Post by jimmib »

Fat Mike wrote:
jimmib wrote:

NSFM
91641005_R.jpg
Any prefernace as to which one might be the better bracket to use than the other?

NSFM
I prefer the weld on bracket mainly because of cost (cheap, around $12.00 ea.) and the GM caliper (again cheap, around $25.00 ea.). You can get the hat type rotor depending on the axle you are using (bolt pattern). If my memory serves me correctly you will need 11" rotors. Just Google weld on caliper bracket and you will find quite a few companies that sell them. I am sure you know that Wilwood and others make complete kits for any application, but are rather pricey.
Sorry for jacking your thread oadamo!
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Welcome back Adam, nice to see you've been making progress dude :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Indeed.....Welcome back Adam.... New Job a Goodun??
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Just admittin' my lack of knowledge bro , That thing does look like a "champcar" unit but I caint tell from the pics !
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

looks more like an early Reliant axle to me....... :think:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

oadamo
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi my names adam. iam from the west midlands and iam building a trike at the moment for a mate, but iam going to build my own chopper bike after i finish the trike. but in the mean time iam collecting parts ready for the big build.

Post by oadamo »

Maz wrote:looks more like an early Reliant axle to me....... :think:

Maz xx
yes maz your right its a reliant axle.
your bike looks sick aswell maz, well done its really nice and sounds nice aswell .
adam

Return to “Trike Building”