Tank Mods & Welding

This section is for all posts concerning sheet metal fabrication
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Tank Mods & Welding

Post by rudog »

Indecision is a bitch! I've been stalled for the past few days trying to mount my tank. It's a paughco tank with one mount at each end of the tunnel. Not my idea of a good idea. The wels are also full of pinholes and the grinds went thru the welds in some places.

My original idea was to cut the weld, narrow the tunnel and install hidden mounts for the front. I can't see any other way to do it, so, I'm going to bite the bullet and start cutting. Prolly start welding soon. Comments are requested.
MockUp45.JPG
MockUp45.JPG (24.95 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
I'll prolly cut or burn a gap to build a goodsized bead. I'm a gap welding fool. I can do this by adding filler to the weld and blending to the sheet metal. It'll be slow, but I can alter between the 4 corners and work inward. This will allow me to file a nice corner radius. Warping is my concern.

I'm still deciding wether to make billet mounts or a die to draw formed mnts. Billet is easier to make. Drawn is easier to work with.

With the top of the tank @36" off the ground, no-one will ever see the tunnel or mnt unless they're looking for it. If it works it should look really clean and sharp with just enough radius to hold paint.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Tank Mods & Welding

Post by Jeff L »

Hidden mounts are the way to go.Would look real nice with the low frame if you deepened the tunnel.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Just got the tunnel out. The welds were better than they looked.

With the lip gone, I can prolly drop the tank 1/4". Doesn't seem worth it. If I make a new tunnel, I could go 3/4". I may thro the motor back in to see where it sets.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Iam going to use the thinnest wire I can find to run on my mig .5, was wondering if you could put the mounting blts though a bung vertical like, into the botton of the tank?
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Maxthegardener wrote:Iam going to use the thinnest wire I can find to run on my mig .5, was wondering if you could put the mounting blts though a bung vertical like, into the botton of the tank?
Yes. But...also recessed so they are not visible with casual observation.
standard-features.jpg
standard-features.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 6052 times
I'll be tiggin' it. After looking at this, I'll need 1 1/8" recess. Too much for me to draw. I'll make the mounts from billet. I'll weld a well nut and try to keep my wall thicknes less than 1/8"
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

mmyeah I meant throught the backbone..straight up into the tank?
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Gotcha now! I was worried for a moment.

The tank had 2 mnts along the backbone already. Your idea is really nice. My worry is that the tank will rock side to side. Of coarse, if you could weld some flats inside the tunnel, that would prevent the rock.

SHIT!!! Now I'm at a standstill again. I gotta work this thru.
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

just went a bit occ on ya..
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

I can't do it anyway. With the backbone so low, I wont have room. Plus with all the stress I'll have on my seatpost. I'ld rather not start drilling holes in it or the backbone.
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

Maxthegardener wrote:Iam going to use the thinnest wire I can find to run on my mig .5, was wondering if you could put the mounting blts though a bung vertical like, into the botton of the tank?

When mig welding sheet metal switching from 75% Ar-25%CO2 to 92% Ar-8%CO2

The decrease in CO2 decreases penetration and heat build up. You'll be able to weld long runs on sheet metal without blow threw and fall out.

92-8 is available at most welding suppliers.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

This is the last thing I'll do for today. It worked pretty sweet. Tomorrow the well nuts and welding.
MockUp46.JPG
MockUp46.JPG (43.9 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
rudog
Conventioneer

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

Post by rudog »

MockUp47.JPG
MockUp47.JPG (32.16 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
I started gap welding where I had to and discovered by accident that leaving a 1/16" lip I could weld without filler. Sweet!
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

Bless you my son...that looks neat..
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Thanx, Max. I'm quite pleased.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Nice job...looks good man.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Sheet Metal Work”