oil tank

This section is for all posts concerning sheet metal fabrication
oklascott
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: my name is scott younger and i live in wann oklahoma. wann is in northeast oklahoma right on the kansas state line. i just recently bought a copy of the chopper builders handbook, the one about building girder forks. i have just finished chopping up a two thousand one kawasaki elminator that i picked up at a garage sale cheap. i am currently buying a building to open my own custom fabrication shop. i enjoy working on bikes and building hot rods, ihave a 1927 all steel ford t bucket with a uncut bed. i have ready to begin as my next bike project a rigid harley frame setup for either a evo or shovel. gonna make the tins and tank myself on the english wheel. hopefully i will get aproved.

oil tank

Post by oklascott »

i am starting on my next project soon. i have a rigid harley frame that will take either a shovel or a evo engine. i plan on making the fenders, gas tank, and oil tank myself. i recently purchased the chopper builders handbook that covers building girder forks. my question here is i dont have the dimensions on a stock harley oil tank. i have found online the round cylinder tanks but i am wanting to make one as close to a harley as i can. does anyone out there have a drawing or print with the dimensions of one of these tanks. any help would be very appreciated.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: oil tank

Post by curt »

i dont have one but wanted to say welcome to the new forum
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
oklascott
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: my name is scott younger and i live in wann oklahoma. wann is in northeast oklahoma right on the kansas state line. i just recently bought a copy of the chopper builders handbook, the one about building girder forks. i have just finished chopping up a two thousand one kawasaki elminator that i picked up at a garage sale cheap. i am currently buying a building to open my own custom fabrication shop. i enjoy working on bikes and building hot rods, ihave a 1927 all steel ford t bucket with a uncut bed. i have ready to begin as my next bike project a rigid harley frame setup for either a evo or shovel. gonna make the tins and tank myself on the english wheel. hopefully i will get aproved.

Post by oklascott »

thanks alot i hope to contribute.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

what info specifically do you need? and what oil tank? year? model? to just say Harley oil tank doesn't give us much to help you with, dude.

let me know what ya need and chances are there's one lying around at my buddy's place i could measure up for you.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
oklascott
NewB

Post by oklascott »

i am wanting to use one like a 1988 springer softail, like in this picture
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
oklascott
NewB

Post by oklascott »

or this
Attachments
pan oil tank.jpg
pan oil tank.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

You'll really need to fit your oil tank to your build. Poster board and scotch tape.
Just try to mock it up in poster board. Once you get it to the exact shape you
can cut the tape and use it to form your final templates. Then it's cut, grind, shape,
weld, sand, etc.
oklascott
NewB

Post by oklascott »

thats which way I was planning on going. thought that their might be a chance someone had drawn one up, thanks guys i appreciate you taken time to help
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hello oklascott, welcome to the forum. Like already said making parts for a specific bike is always best to do cardboard templates to figure out the look you want. Good luck. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

If you are looking for a stock type softail oil bag, you can get one off ebay for less than a hundred bucks. Then modify to suit your needs. Welcome to the forum.
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....

Return to “Sheet Metal Work”