gas tank sealing and ordering from a catalog/online website

Use this area for posts concerning preparation, painting, finishing, airbrushing, pinstriping and the like.
War Tribe
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a serious chopper lover and want to learn how to build them from scratch. I'm not all about those bling bling tv riders you see on American Chopper. I follow Jesse James' work ethic and attitude towards bikes.

gas tank sealing and ordering from a catalog/online website

Post by War Tribe »

i was just wondering if most tanks you order online or from a catalog come pre-sealed to gas. i guess i could ask that on the website or through customer service. but i like getting replies from you guys.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: gas tank sealing and ordering from a catalog/online webs

Post by curt »

nope never trust em always pressure test the welds and seal em up
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

I'm with Curt. Best tank sealer is good welds.
joe49
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been on the CBH since 04 been on bikes since 68 'nuff said............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Post by joe49 »

Ditto
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

even if i weld em myself id check em everyone has a bad day sometimes
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
War Tribe
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a serious chopper lover and want to learn how to build them from scratch. I'm not all about those bling bling tv riders you see on American Chopper. I follow Jesse James' work ethic and attitude towards bikes.

Post by War Tribe »

i understand that good welds are super important but i think i was meaning if gas tanks come with some kind of liquid sealer that is poured into the tank and coats the inside of the tank to prevent the metal from rusting and being eaten away by the gas. that's what i should have asked.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i have seen some factory tanks sealed but ive never seen a aftermarket tank that was
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

Gas doesn't eat metal. :-? :roll:

Want to block rust? Screw sealer. Go to caswellplating.com and by some flash copper solution.
All you'll need is a trickle charger, acetone, some 1/2" copper tubing as your anode and some gauze to
wrap the anode with to insulate it from the tank. In about an hour or so you'll have a copper lined
fuel tank.
War Tribe
Tourist

Post by War Tribe »

rakeNtrail wrote:Gas doesn't eat metal. :-? :roll:

Want to block rust? Screw sealer. Go to caswellplating.com and by some flash copper solution.
All you'll need is a trickle charger, acetone, some 1/2" copper tubing as your anode and some gauze to
wrap the anode with to insulate it from the tank. In about an hour or so you'll have a copper lined
fuel tank.
hhmm..interesting..good idea!

i guess if i used what little brain i have left, i would have figured out that the gas tanks that come on cars/trucks are most likely not coated with anything and are just bare metal and that they don't get eaten through by the gas either.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

The new ethanol fuels mandated by the US Feds gather moisture from the air, and if it sits in a tank for extended periods,
the water separates and cause rust corrosion inside the tank.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
War Tribe
Tourist

Post by War Tribe »

railroad bob wrote:The new ethanol fuels mandated by the US Feds gather moisture from the air, and if it sits in a tank for extended periods,
the water separates and cause rust corrosion inside the tank.
i read that somewhere, too. ethanol soaks up moisture, hence all the water-removing fuel treatments we have.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Saw the latest issue of Horse. They have an article with data on ethanol fuels.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

put that mag down and get your srse in the workshop ....theres a bike to finish lol...
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I was only flipin thru it at a store with free WiFi. I was going to start a thread or continue my rant, "butt", this is a highly dynamic situation that dictates my attention.
ARBY
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been riding motorcycles since I got my first Harley, a 1951 Panhead, in 1967. My current ride is a 1977 FXS that I bought in 1980. I'm originally from CT but have lived in the Tampa, FL area since 1989. I do most of the work on my bike myself.

chopperville1.tripod.com

Post by ARBY »

Yeah, I know it's an old post.

I quit using tank liners a long time ago - they don't last. Now when I pressure test and find a pin hole leak from a weld or something, I seal the leak with lead and I've become rather good with it. Years ago guys used to seal and mold with lead in the days before Bondo. Even factories leaded in quarter panel seams. Working with lead is definitely getting to be a dying art.

Return to “Prep, Painting and Finishing”