painting stainless steel

Use this area for posts concerning preparation, painting, finishing, airbrushing, pinstriping and the like.
War Tribe
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a serious chopper lover and want to learn how to build them from scratch. I'm not all about those bling bling tv riders you see on American Chopper. I follow Jesse James' work ethic and attitude towards bikes.

painting stainless steel

Post by War Tribe »

can you paint stainless steel? i've always wondered if you could.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: painting stainless steel

Post by curt »

i have seen a few painted back to the future cars they were stainless dont know how well it holds up though
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
War Tribe
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a serious chopper lover and want to learn how to build them from scratch. I'm not all about those bling bling tv riders you see on American Chopper. I follow Jesse James' work ethic and attitude towards bikes.

Post by War Tribe »

ok. i just didn't know if it acted like aluminum since it isn't 1020 mild steel like most bike frames are made out of. when i watched the american chopper build off with jesse james and the teutels (ugh, sigh), he didn't paint the frame and he used stainless steel. i machine stainless at my job and it's a bitch to work with.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi
weldguy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Retired Manufacturing Engineer, Facilities Manager, Maintenance Supervisor
Owner: North Star Fabrication, LLC
Hobbies and interests: Hot rodding, target shooting, ham radio and, of course, Harley riding!

Post by weldguy »

I had to paint several sections of stainless railings for a customer. I use Shewin-Williams a lot and called my rep. He told me what primer to use. It is an etching primer and must be applied in a single, very thin coat.
This is an INDUSTRIAL product... don't expect to find it at a S-W store in the mall.
weldguy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Retired Manufacturing Engineer, Facilities Manager, Maintenance Supervisor
Owner: North Star Fabrication, LLC
Hobbies and interests: Hot rodding, target shooting, ham radio and, of course, Harley riding!

Post by weldguy »

I had to paint several sections of stainless railings for a customer. I use Shewin-Williams a lot and called my rep. He told me what primer to use. It is an etching primer and must be applied in a single, very thin coat.
This is an INDUSTRIAL product... don't expect to find it at a S-W store in the mall.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The 'stainless' alloys were developed for applications where a 'coating' would be intrusive to the environment intended for the material, such as labs, kitchens, hospital, process piping etc. It is not a user friendly material and eats up tooling and becomes very brittle when welded so I wouldn't use anywhere near a bike. Contrary to popular myth it does rust but it just takes longer. Why build something from this material if you're going to paint over it?

Return to “Prep, Painting and Finishing”