Chrome paint ?

Use this area for posts concerning preparation, painting, finishing, airbrushing, pinstriping and the like.
buttcan
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: BIGJIM sent me. However since there have to be two humdred characters or more to send the application through I'll write a bit more. I'm an actual legitamate person, or at least my parents claim that I am. I'm a Paramedic on the north side of Houston texas and I live in Splendora. I hate the hour plus commute but I hate living in the city even more so I tolerate it. My experience with choppers has been mostly with Honda CB750's building several in the past couple years however I'm working on two Shovelheads right now. One is a stock raked frame and the other is a narrow springer rigid. . . . My favorite color is blue and I like chocolate ice cream.... that should about cover it no ?

Chrome paint ?

Post by buttcan »

Any suggestions ? I have an old beat up springer that I had the rust blasted off of and I want it to look kind of pretty. I'm not a fan of painted springers and I'm not a fan of spending my inheritance on chrome. Anybody here have experience or reccomendations for chrome paint ?

:auto-dirtbike:
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Chrome paint ?

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

buttcan
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: BIGJIM sent me. However since there have to be two humdred characters or more to send the application through I'll write a bit more. I'm an actual legitamate person, or at least my parents claim that I am. I'm a Paramedic on the north side of Houston texas and I live in Splendora. I hate the hour plus commute but I hate living in the city even more so I tolerate it. My experience with choppers has been mostly with Honda CB750's building several in the past couple years however I'm working on two Shovelheads right now. One is a stock raked frame and the other is a narrow springer rigid. . . . My favorite color is blue and I like chocolate ice cream.... that should about cover it no ?

Post by buttcan »

Very nice. Do you know of any particular brand that is better than the others ?
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Powder coat is and option. Frame in the background is powder coat, frame in foreground is actual chrome.
Less worry of hydrogen embrittlement.
Picture was lifted off a chrome powder coat search.
Attachments
powder coat vs chrome.doc
(208.5 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

buttcan wrote:Very nice. Do you know of any particular brand that is better than the others ?
The swingarm is in powdercoat.

(An unrelated story) An aquaintance built a custom '36 show car and powdercoated some of the visible suspension parts in chrome color. Hard to tell the difference, still had lots of " POP".

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrac ... chrome.htm

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome.htm
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

If you go with Powder, Prismatic Powders Super Chrome is worth a look.Look it up on Youtube.I'll be ordering some to do an old Fishing Reel I have.It is a two stage Powder, so you'll have to clear it.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I Have used HOK....base is black and it looks sweet .....just scratches like the real paint
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.

Return to “Prep, Painting and Finishing”