Lets do a little powder coating

Use this area for posts concerning preparation, painting, finishing, airbrushing, pinstriping and the like.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Lets do a little powder coating

Post by Jeff L »

Ok....I'm not a great teacher so take this with a grain of salt....ya might want a shot of tekillya to go with that salt.So the firt thing we'll do is prep the part.I blasted the rim in my cabinet.I made up a jig for it to sit in so It would not come in contact with the grates in the oven.Otherwise you'd have to shot 1 side ....do a partial cure...shot the other side & fully cure.In the jig you shot both sides at the same time.Next I wiped down the rim with denatured alcohol....wear nitrile gloves so you dont get your dirty paw prints on your parts.
Attachments
DCFC0006.JPG
DCFC0006.JPG (190.24 KiB) Viewed 6556 times
Last edited by Jeff L on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Lets do a little powder coating

Post by curt »

love to see some powder coat process always wanted to learn i can paint far from pro but i do good work
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I had to make what is called a pregnant oven cause the rim is just a little bigger then the oven.I warmed up the rim(I find this easier & havn't had any problems doing it this way......off to the spray booth
Attachments
DCFC0002.JPG
DCFC0002.JPG (159.34 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Parts in the jig * hung in my temp booth.It worked better than I thought so now I'll build another problbly out of metal studs.The weight of the rim really put the small diameter pvc to test.I aslo put a box fan in with a furnace filter to draw & capture the overspray.That worked great as you can see in the pic...filter turned black
Attachments
DCFC0003.JPG
DCFC0003.JPG (190.24 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
DCFC0007.JPG
DCFC0007.JPG (188.52 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
DCFC0012.JPG
DCFC0012.JPG (119.53 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
DCFC0013.JPG
DCFC0013.JPG (124.08 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

After its all sprayed it goes in the oven for 15 minutes after the powder flows....& when it comes out you have a nice colored part.I shot the rim in super wet black
Attachments
DCFC0018.JPG
DCFC0018.JPG (159.06 KiB) Viewed 6549 times
DCFC0021.JPG
DCFC0021.JPG (89.11 KiB) Viewed 6549 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

And last but not least.....grab yourself a beer.
Attachments
DCFC0022.JPG
DCFC0022.JPG (141.05 KiB) Viewed 6549 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

no primer in powder coat process?
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

you can use a primer but not neccessary.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Very cool jeff thanks for posting the information on powder coating. Turned out very nice i see, better have two beers hahaha. :D :bow-blue:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

cool to see the process broken down. just out of curiosity, where do you get the powder and other supplies?

:text-goodpost:

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Fantastic "how to" post - you may not be a teacher but you should be!!! Very well written and illustrated. Many thanks, that has explained the dark art of powder coating...all I need now is enough room to build a spray booth........ :shifty:

Thanks again Jeff :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Thanks for the pictorial. Been wanting to try that myself. What brand powder coat equipment do you use?
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Thinkin bout a larger oven sparked my memory. Went looking and refound this site. Kitchen oven burner elements were used in homemade cabinet.

http://powdercoatoven.4t.com/Index.html
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

:text-goodpost:
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

budoka wrote: just out of curiosity, where do you get the powder and other supplies?

-dan
my gun & the powder I used for this was bought through Caswellplating.com.Thier forums have all kinds of info about pc & oven building.Definately worth a look.I also get some powder through Columbia coatings.

Return to “Prep, Painting and Finishing”