layering metal

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: layering metal

Post by gww25 »

For those little tabs I would strongly suggest that you recut them using 3/8" (or 1/2") material to begin with as they probably won't be flat by the time you weld them together and then grind them down. This is one instance where taking a shortcut may not be a good idea even though in theory it will work.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Could you get fancy with some flush head rivets??
buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

Post by buellfun »

Ok I will quit being a cheap ass. I guess i will learn how to use that 4th axis on the new mill. I was trying not to use any machine.

hell we will keep the pcs around for some large tab or brackets.

and as to the rivit, i was going to heat a grade 5 bolt then flaten the back side.

Chris
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

....glad to hear

I think you'll be happy you went the non-laminated route

Return to “General Welding”