layering metal

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

layering metal

Post by buellfun »

So if you need a piece 1/2 thick is it ok to weld 2 pcs 1/4 thick together

Chris
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Re: layering metal

Post by concrete guy »

In most applications I would say yes and you might also want to throw in some rosette welds.

Scott
buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

Post by buellfun »

Well i will put up drawings of what i am doing, thanks for your input Scott.
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Whatca makin'?
:think:
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

Some springer parts. I have started on a few will get my son to post a pic.

Chris
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

hmmm... springer parts? not trying to be a wise ass but why not just get 1/2" material? what will the laminated plates be used for?
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

well i guess i am a cheap ass.....i will be make a front leg support and flat spuds for the legs.
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

here are the parts so far...
show the rear welded and the front part beveled
show the rear welded and the front part beveled
springer part's2.JPG (49.93 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
Front prepped on left and cut pcs on the righ  below that a rear ready to be fitted   right of that a rear on welder
Front prepped on left and cut pcs on the righ below that a rear ready to be fitted right of that a rear on welder
springer part's.JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The problem I see on what you're doing is that most of the weld will be ground away in the dressing process leaving little if any real metal joining the two plates. Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it appears like to me.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Plenty of rosette welds is what I would be doing. If you think about roof truss girders, all they are is trusses stacked together will a specifiec nail pattern. Bevel your edges well, rosettes and I think it would work.

Scott
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

if yer gonna grind 'em smooth , first cut all facing edges to a 45 degree angle so that when you put them together you have a 90 degree slot to fill with weld THEN drill a few strategic holes thru it to fill up (rosettes) !

:popcorn: :banana-gotpics: :auto-dirtbike: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

all parts were v'ed the welded. will also plug weld.the weld in the pic is the second pass.

thanks for all the input.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Laminated Plate mmmm..theres food for thought? :popcorn:
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

Gary said where I was headed...
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

so when I checked the v'ed part the v turns out to a 1/4 " wide and 3/16 deep. so would it be better to weld them and round the edges instead of grinding flat.

Return to “General Welding”