Welder

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Negative
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an diy enthusiast with some background in welding. Still studying mechanical engeneering. I love all kinds of custom work. I have a few small projects behind me. Would love to build a chopper from scratch. I have some questions about welding and other chopper related stuff and I hope that the guys and girls on this forum can help me.

Re: Welder

Post by Negative »

A lot more practise for me, that's shure :lol:
I read somewhere on the internet that when welding round tube to a round tube like this, it is very difficult to produce good looking welds (not that I am sugesting that mine could not be better :laughing-rolling: ). Is there a truth to this, and what do you do in case bad looking welds happen (because choppers finally should look good right :mrgreen: )?
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

It is oversimplified, but I use this as a starting point and work from there. I don't weld frames at all.
Attachments
try it.
try it.
M10.JPG (47.03 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Preheating the weld area to about 500f helps improve starting weld penetration. I use and electric dual temp heat gun that has a 550 / 1100 f selection.
Remember the mantra "practice, practice, practice" Your welds will improve.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Negative
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an diy enthusiast with some background in welding. Still studying mechanical engeneering. I love all kinds of custom work. I have a few small projects behind me. Would love to build a chopper from scratch. I have some questions about welding and other chopper related stuff and I hope that the guys and girls on this forum can help me.

Post by Negative »

Thanks guys.
I am practising with the stick welder. Hasn't been going all that great :angry-banghead: . It may be partly the electrodes (people say that there is a huge difference between working with good electrodes and bad ones). Will try with different brand and quality.
Couple nights ago I got an idea for my first build, so instead of sleeping I was imagining it :D. I'm gonna present it soon and gonna have tons of questions, so watch out for new threads :auto-biker:
And yet again, thank you all for the insight :obscene-drinkingcheers:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Tell us what electrodes you've been using.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

Just some cheap TURKISH 2.5mm elektodes my boss bought at work so i can weld him something :laughing-rolling: . Rutile.
http://www.magmaweld.com/esr_13_stick_electrode.html
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Negative..... If I can find it ...... I have info on how to make a tig for steel, using a large alternator and a 10 HP gas motor.... I have neighbors from Macedonia !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Yona, i've still got that info, too. i actually built one and could weld light stuff with it, but since i only had a 6.5 HP engine, it wasn't strong enough for anything like a frame. for that, you need at least a 12HP engine, IMO. (yeah i know, you tried to tell me that. i only had a 6.5 HP engine though, so i tried it anyway, but i shoulda listened. i can be a bit hard-headed at times, LOL).

Negative, if you want that info, either Yona or i'll post it for you.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Go for it Dan.... every time I lose a HD, they recover and the data is always scrambled.... Did not find it last night ... I will also save it to the HD !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.

Return to “General Welding”