Welder

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
James77
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: MY name is James Hall, I'm interested in building me a bike! I'm fairly mechanicly inclined! I think I could do it. I've got a buddy that has built him a bike, and I go to church with a guy that I know will help too!

Welder

Post by James77 »

What kind of welder would I need in bike building? Mig, Arc, or...? For stuff like brackets and so on?
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Welder

Post by curt »

any welding process will work but mig is the easiest to learn and the smaller machines arent that expensive anymore
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
James77
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: MY name is James Hall, I'm interested in building me a bike! I'm fairly mechanicly inclined! I think I could do it. I've got a buddy that has built him a bike, and I go to church with a guy that I know will help too!

Post by James77 »

curt wrote:any welding process will work but mig is the easiest to learn and the smaller machines arent that expensive anymore
So, I won't need a real powerful welder?
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Curt is right all welding process will work more or less, get yourself a 180amp-200amp welder mig or tig with gas bottles for cleaner welds. Takes alot of practice to get good descent welds in all materials. Good luck. :D
James77
NewB

Post by James77 »

jonester123 wrote:Hi there, welcome to the forum. Curt is right all welding process will work more or less, get yourself a 180amp-200amp welder mig or tig with gas bottles for cleaner welds. Takes alot of practice to get good descent welds in all materials. Good luck. :D
Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking about this welder. Problem is, I've heard bad things about Harbor Freight tools. Looks like a good welder, but I don't know.

http://www.harborfreight.com/120-amp-23 ... 97503.html
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

I wouldnt waste your money on that welder, if you are going to do fabrication work and welding on frame tubeing and thick plate materials then you need to pay for a descent welder that is capable of welding that size materials. Look for a lincoln or miller mig welder of atleast 140amp- 200amp, they cost around $500.00 and up for a quality welder, it is always better to buy bigger so you have the power to weld thicker materials, and make sure you have the power to run them right. :think: :D
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Harbor Freight mig welders arent bad , in fact they held up in a comparison test against 3 other welders that cost more to buy as a good tool for the money !!
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

It's a crap shoot at best buying tools there.May work, but what happens when it needs parts.Id save & buy from a reputable manufacturer..... ie Lincoln, Miller to name a couple.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
James77
NewB

Post by James77 »

Thanks everyone! I've got a buddy that has a mig welder....maybe I can get him to weld what I need. We have a Tractor Supply store here too....they sale Hobart welders.....I can save for one of those I guess.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Hobart is a reputable brand in business for many years. For a purchase that will hopefully be a longtime tool, you should do some research
on several things.
Learn the major differences in the welding processes, not difficult to do. You have a friend who welds, he can tell you in a few minutes, and show you examples.
Cost for purchase, use of power, consummables, accessories
Power output, features, adjustable settings, ease of set-up.

The main thing to consider is whether you actually need a welder. One time project, possibly not.

Gaining knowlege is never a waste of time.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

check with your local welding supply house sometimes you can pick up a used machine that they have worked on or refurbished or someone traded up for a bigger welder usually you can get a much bigger machine than you thought that has many years use left especially for a home shop at a reasonable price
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

think about what you want it for now, then think about what you might want to use it for a year from now. you don't want to go cheap and have to upgrade any time soon, there's nothing worse than paying for something twice. i like lincon cause thats what i'm used to, a lincoln 140 will handle anything your likely to be doing on a bike, my brother has one and thinks its great, it also plugs into a regular 120v outlet with a 20amp breaker. i run a lincoln 180, and would recomend it, can't imagine needing anything bigger for hobby use. but thats just my opinion
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
James77
NewB

Post by James77 »

Dan.in.Can wrote:think about what you want it for now, then think about what you might want to use it for a year from now. you don't want to go cheap and have to upgrade any time soon, there's nothing worse than paying for something twice. i like lincon cause thats what i'm used to, a lincoln 140 will handle anything your likely to be doing on a bike, my brother has one and thinks its great, it also plugs into a regular 120v outlet with a 20amp breaker. i run a lincoln 180, and would recomend it, can't imagine needing anything bigger for hobby use. but thats just my opinion

Well, the only thing I'd probably use it on is a bike, but there''s some stuff I'd like to do for our church too! I'll check out those Lincoln 180's!
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Don't waste your hard earned cash on a cheap welder, a good one will last you years and produce more consistent and better results...also get a good welding helmet etc..... :snooty:
Mazintheshed001.jpg
Mazintheshed001.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 6364 times
Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

im thinking welding with those exposed might be a lil painful but id like to watch :popcorn: :popcorn:

Return to “General Welding”