Welder

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Negative
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an diy enthusiast with some background in welding. Still studying mechanical engeneering. I love all kinds of custom work. I have a few small projects behind me. Would love to build a chopper from scratch. I have some questions about welding and other chopper related stuff and I hope that the guys and girls on this forum can help me.

Re: Welder

Post by Negative »

Hi everybody. Sorry for kidnapping the post , but I have a related question, and in order not to start another thread, I am writing here.
Will this welder do the trick for welding chopper frames?
http://www.varstroj.si/index.php/342.html
Technical data
Mains connection 1~230 V / 50 Hz
Fuse slow 16 AT
Welding current 30 - 140 A
Welding voltage 15,5 - 21,0 V
Duty cycle

8%
140 A

60%
60 A

100%
45 A
Welding wire diameter 0,6 - 0,8 mm
Weight 26,0 kg
Dimensions (DxWxH) 600x330x420 mm
Ordering code 694411
Torch type FBV 14/2m
Torch code 6498884
I know that it can probably weld the tubing, but main concern are gussets and axle plates. I also have access to a stick welder, but I am thinking of buying a mig for a long time now. I know that bigger, more expensive machines would be better, but this is all i can afford right now. And the brand is not a bad one either (in case you haven't heard about it).
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Who needs a tanning salon, when you can weld Nekid'!Image
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

oh no im irish a burned willie is no fun
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Negative
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an diy enthusiast with some background in welding. Still studying mechanical engeneering. I love all kinds of custom work. I have a few small projects behind me. Would love to build a chopper from scratch. I have some questions about welding and other chopper related stuff and I hope that the guys and girls on this forum can help me.

Post by Negative »

Could anyone please answer my question? :-?
:text-threadjacked:
Thank you :D
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

You could probably get by with that.If I was buying, I would wait till I could get something a little more stout.Thats a major purchase, & not something you want to out grow any time soon.I'm no expert, this is just the Route I went when I bought my Tig.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

First of all, thank you for answering.
My main problem is that I cannot gather enough money for a bigger welder, and most of the people who have bought second hand welders tell me that it is best to buy new, because every welder breaks down over time. On the new ones I have a 2 year warranty. Like I said, main concern is will I be able to weld the axle plate/tubing joint, and similar.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

If your equipment is not adequate to weld parts together in a single pass, you can use multiple passes to join them.
The heat input from additional passes also helps temper the metal deposited in previous passes.

If you have access to a stick welder, try doing some test pieces to learn if it will do what you want. If you are satisfied
with the results, why bother buying something you might be unhappy with? You could use it while saving for a machine you really want.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

Negative wrote:Could anyone please answer my question? :-?
:text-threadjacked:
Thank you :D

didnt mean to jack your thread i posted a while back check with your local welding supply house they take machines on trade all the time and usually go through them before resale to make sure they work well . if you can afford that one brand new you might b able to buy a bigger machine used for the same price .its always better to buy the bigest welder you can afford ya take a big hit trying to sell a used machine that ya bought new trying to upgrade later . i have some welders well over 50 years old so im thinking it must be all in how the welder was cared for as far as how long it will last. that being said i think a 140 amp if im reading that right will weld gussets and brackets axl plates and tube for frames . lookin foreward to seein some of your work
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

What I meant was that I jacked the thread from the original thread starter :lol:
And thank you for the info. I am kinda half way between buying used and buying new. It is just that preety much everybody that I know that has a second hand welder had to repair it (the electronics died in all of the cases). They all say that it happens a lot. Anyway, I still have time to decide since a haven't got the money yet :angry-banghead:
BTW, massive respect to everybody here! Have seen some of your work... :bow-blue: Owesome!
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

railroad bob, thanks for your input. I have some expirience with stick welding (mostly hobby), but my welds, while they actually hold, look like crap. My other big concern is that my welds won't pass the test. I asked around, because nobody here builds frames, how can I get one legalized if I built it, and it yould have to be tested completly at the faculty of mech. engeneering. I am afraid that maybe the welds won't pass.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

There is another thread here with info and opinion about performing welds and testing them. i think you'll find some good info in
it about destructive and non-destructive testing. There is complete testing, and then there is "complete testing".
Those terms mean different things to different people, depending on their background and experience.
The more knowledge you have about welding, also inspection methods and best practices, the better you are able to speak to administrators or officials who likely do not have the same amount of knowledge.
Sometimes they make the license or title process difficult because they act on assumption.
Sometimes, the more you know, the easier to convince them otherwise.
Good luck.
TANSTAAFL
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

I am studying mech. engeneering actually, so I kinda know what kind of tests exist :mrgreen: . What I didn't know was that they can not be applied to a frame, so thanks for that info :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I was thinking of welding some tubing together and then testing it with a hammer :twisted: , but I don't know how strict will the people who test my welds be :think:
I cannot thank you enough for the info you are sharing here with me, all of you :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I will try to post some of the welds that I've done, so you can give me some opinions.
Thank you again, and hopefully I will start a build soon :auto-biker:
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

So I've done a test weld. Welded together two pieces of tubing. I've cut that section of and cut it in half. Then I took one of the pieces, filed down the sharp edges that were created from the angle grinder and i beat the hell out of it. Trying to upload pics now :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95600834@N ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95600834@N ... otostream/
I don't know if you notice, but the weld has penetrated only half thru (exept couple of places where I made full penetration) but held preety good. The weld looks like crap, I will continue to practise. But besides that, what do you think of the strength of the weld?
Negative
NewB

Post by Negative »

Second welding test :D
I took a piece of 32mm/2mm (1.25", 0.083" thick) tubing. I cut and coped a piece so it would fit nicely (as much as i could using an angle grinder :P), and then welded it to the other one. Because my welds looked like crap and i blew a couple of holes while welding, I did a second run (didn't made any big difference as it turns out :P). As you can see, my welds are really shitty (told ya :oops: ).
And then it was: HAMMER TIME ! :twisted:
I've hitted it in every possible direction until the tubing lost the form completelly :twisted:
The welds held superbly (but still are and look like crap).
Please give me your thoughts.
And the pictures of the weld are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95600834@N07/
Edit: Forgot to mention that I checked, and yes the weld pulled the tubing, so it is warped from the welding :angry-banghead:
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

next time you talk to a professional welder ask how long they've welded.

then ask if their welds looked that good when they started.

everyone needs practice, even the pros.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Welding”