Alumiweld

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Alumiweld

Post by Jeff L »

Anyone use this?I have an old fishing reel that I want to plug some holes in.When I stripped it, looks Aluminum but a friend says its probaly a Zinc alloy.Didnt think it would tig to well.Plus the fact its pretty thin material & I dont want to fuck it up.Can I get decent results with this stuff? And will the repair be visible to the piont Ill have to paint it.I really wanted to polish it when done..... Thanks
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Re: Alumiweld

Post by Russ »

I've used lumiweld and found it okay for small items, the trick is getting enough heat into the work piece to make the Lumiweld rod melt on contact allowing it to 'tin'. Lumiweld can be polished but don't expect an invisable repair. The other thing you might want to bear in mind is that Lumiweld is a lot harder than ally and this makes finishing a right bastard particularly if your using any king of disc or wheel.
If you think it'll help I'll try and post a photo of what I've done with the stuff when I get a chance.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

How To Use Alumiweld page

http://www.alumiweld.com/h2uaw.html
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Russ wrote:. Lumiweld can be polished but don't expect an invisable repair. The other thing you might want to bear in mind is that Lumiweld is a lot harder than ally and this makes finishing a right bastard .
Thats the info I was looking for.Thanks man.I tried filling a hole in a piece of 1/8 Aluminum had a hell of a time heating with propane.Ill try Mapp this weekend.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Post by Russ »

Glad I could help. Best of luck.

Return to “General Welding”