Where to have welds tested?

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

Where to have welds tested?

Post by justin caise »

I really want to do the welding myself.
And I REALLY don't want to die yet.
What type of company should I look for to send my weld samples to for distructive testing?
I could bang them about myself but I'm looking for an authoritative professional testing.
Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Re: Where to have welds tested?

Post by Maxthegardener »

what you building there justin...a oil rig? ;) I jest

a night class or a good friend to show you how might be a good place to start :twocents-02cents:
Marty
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: first time builder...in search of knowledge :)

Presently i'm in the process of building a softail. 4+ backbone, 38 rake and 2+/5 rake forks/trees. Normally i'm pretty inclined mechanically, though i gotta say some aspects of this are somewhat leaving me shaking my head lol.

Post by Marty »

up my way we use a company called Team (well the company i work for does anyway...i don't weld "yet" but plan to learn from one of the guys here who lives local to me). Anyway, these guys do all kinds of testing from "mag" which is a special spray they apply while using a magnet, thru to x-raying pipes. I'm sure there's something out your end but i'm pretty sure it wont be cheap either.

IMO, practice your welding and beat it do death with a hammer...look for where your weaknesses are (where you didn't get full penetration) and practice again until you know that your average welding style gives you exactly what you're looking for
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

There is a simple home test you can do that doesn't require banging and beating.
Unless you want to have every inch of your welds magna-fluxed, pt dye tested,
ultrasound of X-rayed you are going to, at some point, trust your welding skills.

1. do your welds look good? Shitty looking welds are more often than not, well, SHITTY!
2. are you taking your time and managing your heat input?

Here's a simple test. Weld a test joint. After it cools cut a cross section of the joint
and sand and polish the cross section. Take a Q-tip and dip it into some good old
lye based drain cleaner. Apply the drain cleaner to the weld area and keep rubbing
with the wet q-tip for a minute or two. This will etch the area and the weld nugget
will appear a different color than the base material. Now take the time to look at it CLOSELY!
Are you happy with the penetration? Is it "biting" into both members of the joint?
If you are happy with the outcome then continue to use settings as close to the ones you used for the
test as possible. Remember, thicker materials will require more current and thinner will require less.

In short, if you don't trust your abilities, hire it done. There's no shame in tacking your build up and
hiring a pro to weld it if you don't feel you are up to the task. The life you save may be your own.

Check out Jody's videos a www.weldingtipsandtricks.com
His videos are no nonsense tips to help you become a better welder.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The importance of using the right materials and also being able to weld.
This was a "homebuilt" frame .
If you weld like this.....?
If you weld like this.....?
NONO.JPG (50.89 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

the guy that rode that is a brave soul
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Yeah, they look shitty welds (not 'melted' into the parent piece at all) but look where it snapped
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

ya bad brace design too
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

What's wrong with the Gusset?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

it looks like the brace is what caused it to break where it did and looks too small . i know i read somewhere when i was first reading about building frames maybe in gary's writeup but not sure that ya gotta be careful with the front brace because it has lots of stress in that area
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Yeah, something about NOT mounting gussetts on the tube center line.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Shaped more like this.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Mine is similar in size.It is mounted off center.I would guess a break like that could happen without much warning.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Ok, Jeff, lets cover the 2 basic issues with that design. First, the straight trailing edge. The stresses and energys are transferred directly from the lower tube to the upper in a straight line. The deep scallop in the trailing edge of the one from Hans redirects the stress/energy and spreads it across the far side along the line instead of a focal point. Second, the tube deflects energy when gussetted closer to the outer edge, again like hans, and its absorbed through the structure. With the centered gusset the force it absorbed across the tube instead of along it, the focused energy causes metal fatigue and the failure. The ends of the break are bound to be crystalized.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i knew someone could answer that better than me for some reason i cant see hans pic

Return to “General Welding”