Case Repair

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Case Repair

Post by Jeff L »

I have a Honda that threw a Chain & pounched a Hole in the Case.I'm going to try & Weld it myself.Would I be better off doing this with the Cases apart or should they be Bolted together?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: Case Repair

Post by gearhead1951 »

The consensus on this question on another forum is to drill a heavy steel plate to bolt each individual case half to for aligning the broken/cracked pieces for welding !

If you make the plate so that you use both sides you only have to drill the holes once !
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

How hard is it to get to? I have only read about this. On Bikernet. He cut the trany off a Sporty. Then welded the rear mount where the trany used to be.

Seems that oil can really make a mess of the welds.Getting it clean enough is a problem.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

when you say weld?
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

The Hole is on the back of the Trans. Right in front of the drive Sprocket.I'll see if I can get a Pic tonight after Work.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

How much pressure is in the case?

I did something similar years ago on my first bike, when we were dirt poor and I didn't know squat.
My dad helped me with it by using JB Weld for aluminum to repair the break. Seemed to work fine. I never had any problems with it.
I can't tell you how long it lasted, I sold the bike with about 6500 miles on it.

I'm not recommending this as a preferred solution, but it CAN be an option, especially for a temporary fix to get a bike going.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I can't see how there would be much if any pressure in the Trans.The Trans. on the BSA is vented.I was thinking about trying Alumi-weld so I didn't have to heat it quite as much.And yeah, this is just temp until it gets a rebuild.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Google "Devcon Aluminum Putty".
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Return to “General Welding”