Buying Guides for welding equipment

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Buying Guides for welding equipment

Post by railroad bob »

I met a welder this summer from Idaho. He has at home, a Thermal Arc welder that he can use for stick or tig.
The electrode size is limited to 3/32".
I did a search this evening and found some links. One of them is an EBay seller, weldingsuppliesatioc.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/weldingsuppliesatioc

This seller has buying guides about the differences in types of welders.
Pretty informative info, in a non-technical tone.
Scroll down the page for the guides.

I was looking at Thermal Arc machines, something fairly cheap that will tig steel tube. a couple models fill the bill.
The 95S and the 161S are similar, with mostly power differences.
95S is 115V only, limited to 3/32 electrode for stick
The 161S is 115/230V, and will run 5/32".

Both are DC only, and WILL NOT TIG ALUMINUM.

Here are links to some of the on-line stores a quick search turned up.

The manuf, Victor, a well known name is torches... didn't know they made welders. (Wups, made in china)
http://www.victortechnologies.com/thermalarc

http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcwe.html
http://store.cyberweld.com/tharc16stwep1.html
http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcstwe95s1.html

Both stores offer free shipping in the 48 states.

I'm thinking the 95S will do what I want, is almost $300 cheaper. Mostly I want a way to Tig some tube without spending a thou.
I already have equipment to stick and mig, so the limited size of the electrode is not a problem.
I don't have any plans to weld aluminum, but I think I could use some aluminum electrodes, or set up a wire feed with a bottle to do that.

I don't claim to be a welder, don't really have much experience with doing it. I've seen a lot of welds, and watched welders a lot,
but there are gaps in my experience. I ask questions, but it's not the same as doing it.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to do what I want?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Buying Guides for welding equipment

Post by Jeff L »

I bought my Welder though these Guys.It's a Thermal Arc Prowave 185.Was actually looking to buy local, but nobody could come close to thier prices.Have it now 10 Years.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks for the input, sounds reliable if you've used it much.
TANSTAAFL
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

I just sold a Thermal Arc 360 amp welder with a 300 amp tig torch.
You could weld battleships with it, great machines, they are made for production.
Mine was made in Japan.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I would be happy with the 95S considering you have all the others available. looks great.
This is the cheapest one.
This is the cheapest one.
95S.JPG (20.1 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

yep, the only thing I don't like is that you can't do aluminum with it.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Welding”