Opinion needed

An area for general welding posts that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Opinion needed

Post by Jeff L »

I've had these Mounts on my Truck for Years.There are 2 & they support a Cooler Rack I use when Fishing.They usually hold up to 110lbs..This is how they sit
mount1.JPG
mount1.JPG (127.64 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
....I'm putting them on a different Truck & for them to mount where I need them the Plate needs to sit sideways like this
mount2.JPG
mount2.JPG (118.6 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
.Does this look like it will hold sitting like this or should I add bracing?
braced.JPG
braced.JPG (42.68 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Opinion needed

Post by curt »

I would add braceing beer is valuable don't know if id trust one weld to hold 110 lbs of it
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Bracing is good. Better to be sure.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Bracing will be added.I'll post a Pic of the Mounts when done....THANKS
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

Jeff - If I understand the concept, you really only need bracing on the underside. What's the span length (distance from tube to tube?) If the weld is good and 110lbs is max, probably don't even need it, but shear would be your primary force... and local bending of the plates. May want to move the bearing point / bolt connection closer to the tube Are you fabing new runners that run from plate to plate?
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

Probably WAAAAAY more that you wanted, but.....

I made some conservative assumptions (A36 steel w/ 0.33Fy allowable bending stress = 11.8ksi, 0.25"thick x 3"wide x 8" long) and came up with a max load of 46lb each bracket before failure due to bending stress. In reality you could probably stand on the end of the bracket and it may bend a little with a static load.

I'd run a lower support strut (will take the vertical load in a resultant axial force and transfer it to the circular tube via the weld) to the end of your mounting plate.... same width as the portion currently welded to the tube x say 0.25" thick. At those dimensions the buckling load of that strut would be 17kips (not even close to what it will see with your use).

Another option would be to better cross-section by improving the bending capacity. An easy way to do this woudl be weld a section of that round tube to the underside of the plate you currently have - notch it to "t" into the mounting tube and run it to the end of the mounting plate. ...Or use a small rectangular or square tube.

Again - probably WAAAAAY more than you wanted.

joe
Attachments
JeffL1.jpg
JeffL1.jpg (94.8 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Cooler rack...... didn't know there was such a thang..... my cooler sits on the seat of my truck...... between me and my fishing/hunting buddy !! .... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

This is what the Cooler Rack looks like
truck rack.JPG
truck rack.JPG (55.73 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
There is 30" between tubes that slide in the Mounts....I cut the Mounts apart & redesigned them.This is what I came up with
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (109.86 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (108.7 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (106.43 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

Return to “General Welding”