power saw

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

power saw

Post by curt »

anyone ever use one of theese machines a friend gave it to me i have never seen or used one before if its anything good ill restore it
004.jpg
004.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
it does appear to be all there havent had time to plug it in and see if it actually works . it was sitting in the back of his garage when he bought the house . love free old tools
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Re: power saw

Post by Fat Mike »

Yup...I'd check on the price of the blades before I tore into it.
Good saw.
PIB part is wearing out the whole blade. Ya either have to keep moving the vice around or adding stock to wear the teeth evenly. Or ya wind up just wearing out one part of the blade.

NSFM
If it has two wheels---trike it.
Bikesandfires
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 54yo, fat, balding, bearded motorhead living in the hills of Eastern Ky. 35 year and counting firefighter, retired from 31 years as a crane operator, car nut from birth. I hope my free-mail account doesn't keep me from becoming a member of this message board. Current toys: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, 1967 Sunbeam Tiger clone project, VW trike project, 18' Thundercraft boat.

Post by Bikesandfires »

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I'd much rather use a power hacksaw as a bandsaw. It's not hard to move the vice so you can wear the whole blade, so thats a non-issue. Lots of these have been pushed ot the back of the shop since they invented the chopsaw tho. If you're cutting big stuff that won't go in a chopsaw, its the tool to use, set it up, start it and watch...the weight of the arm takes it thru the material. The biggest drawbacks I'v seen is that its a lot harder to make an angled cut and it won't work at all for cutting shapes out of flat metal like a bandsaw can.
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

Curt my grandfather had on of them in the shop for like forever!
My dad had it till the mid 80's when my mom died and dad decided
to sell out and retire. His had a mechanism that shut it off when the
saw bottomed out. It cut like a fool. We used it to cut grouser bars
to rebuild worn out bulldozer tracks. ( ya wanna talk about mindless welding) :-? :angry-banghead: :o
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

you cant buy em new thats for sure
chase up blades, theyll last a while if cared for and can be made into knives when worn
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

Yup, I have a machete and two daggers I made out of those saw blades back in the 60's.
I think now days just the teeth are made out of the good stuff.

NSFM
If it has two wheels---trike it.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i got looking into it a lil today and found it has a coolant setup for the blade it seems to be in working order and i found i can get blades from a supplier i use at work one of the ears on the motormount is broken but it looks fairly easy to fab a whole new plate and it has a 3 phaze motor but i have a single i can put on maybe ill post some progress pics as i get it running again and cleaned up looks like a cool machine worth sinkin a lil time into and for the price bet it makes some nice strait cuts thanks for the inputeveryone
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Theyr Iceland
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi
im a marine engineer from iceland , im building 7 choppers from CBH softail plans.
For me and members of my club www.theyr.is , Im 42y and have been in bikes since 1989 and used to work as foreman at Kawasaki iceland workshop.
Been reading alot and following discussions on old forum .
i am a member there and although im not an active poster would like to
continue reading and learning.
Regards Gunnar Olafsson

Post by Theyr Iceland »

coolant is vital , if used properly the blade will last very long , you can buy a phase inverter to change from single phase to 3 phase and speed control
will be included.
G
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

My late bro used to have one very similar in our old workshop. The older models tend to be much heavier castings and work a lot better. It should have (or can be fitted with) limit stops so it doesn't cut into itself after going through the work piece and also a really good sized coolant tank...that way you can just start it cutting and go do something else for while.....efficient they are, fast they are not :hand:

give it an overhaul and it will give you many years of service......great buy dude :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Maz wrote:My late bro used to have one very similar in our old workshop. The older models tend to be much heavier castings and work a lot better. It should have (or can be fitted with) limit stops so it doesn't cut into itself after going through the work piece and also a really good sized coolant tank...that way you can just start it cutting and go do something else for while.....efficient they are, fast they are not :hand:

give it an overhaul and it will give you many years of service......great buy dude :clap:

Maz xx

it is about 400 pounds and has a stop so it wont cut through and the underneath is a coolant tank looks to hold 5 gallons got it for free . have had some time to check things out a little everything seems in working order started clean up on it pics soon
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

there's nothing i enjoy more then getting something for free
especially if it needs a little resto
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ya me too
Bikesandfires
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 54yo, fat, balding, bearded motorhead living in the hills of Eastern Ky. 35 year and counting firefighter, retired from 31 years as a crane operator, car nut from birth. I hope my free-mail account doesn't keep me from becoming a member of this message board. Current toys: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, 1967 Sunbeam Tiger clone project, VW trike project, 18' Thundercraft boat.

Post by Bikesandfires »

The one I used didn't have a coolant set-up. but I don't remember it ever smoking a blade. It didn't have a real fast stroke either tho.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I knew a guy with a similar saw. He mentioned that if it was forced it would drift off the cut line at an angle...

Just an FYI
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Years ago, I had a reciprocating saw and if you let it do the work, they cut fine. Never had problems with blades.
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....

Return to “Tools and Equipment”