jonester JD2 Bender Build

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Re: jonester JD2 Bender Build

Post by jonester123 »

Hi maz and curt, as soon as i get the mounting bracket built for the 8 ton ram i should be able to get bending tubeing . A little tweaking and learning what i am doing then get to work building the hardtail frame. Also blew up my new dewalt grinder, i am shocked all i was doing is cutting out the springer plate with cutting discs and i was not pushing to hard on it. Getting tired of crappy machines, :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

you might have gotten a bad one i have a dewalt thats 3 years old theyre usually good machines yake it back tou havent had it that long they should give you a new one
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, i have only had the dewalt grinder about 2weeks or so and i have the bill of purchase so i will go exchange it for another new one. I barely got about 4 hrs of use from it before blowing up with smole everywhere. :D :o :confusion-shrug:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Dewalt tools usually last for years - take it back and complain!!!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi maz, got a makita grinder of equal value and it seems to be working well so far. Waiting for materials from my supplier to get the ram mounting bracket ready to build. :D ;)
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

cool - soon have that bender working :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi maz, i have been working on the ram mounting bracket slowly since i got a bunch of 1/4 inch thick plate to make it. I will more than likely need to bevel the plates so i can get descent weld penitration with my small lincoln mig, rest assured i will get this sucker finished so i can start learning the bending of tubeing. :D :dance:

Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

Hey thanks for posting your pics, I'm in the middle of building my own and its quite helpful to see a closeup of one thats alredy put togeather.
Is your degree gauge home made? i was thinking there might be one online that could be printed out then transferred to metal, but i havn't looked around yet.
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

jonester123 wrote:Thanks sleepyonthree, hard to tell from the pic how it attaches and mounts to bender. I will figure it out one way or another, i do have lots of pieces of scrap that i could possibly try to make my own mounting bracket for the 8 ton air/hydraulic ram. :clap: :think:
there is one on here that was sent to me and i think the name of the thread is printable degree ring i'll double check
Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

i just looked and it must have gotten lost when the site was down a while back but if you post a thread and ask someone i'm sure will get it for you
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi guys, i made my own pice out of 20gauge sheetmetal and cutt to shape. Then i downloaded the free printable protractor and wrapped it up with see through heavy plastic nothing fancy but will work for now. I will try to find a copy of the protractor for you guys and post it in my area here. Just follow the jd2 bender plans and you will be fine, i took a long time learning how to make this sucker with needing the proper tools etc. If i can do it anyone can, i am now working on converting it to a 8ton air hydraulic ram with mounting brackets so it will be easier to use and mount without busting up my worktables with all the pressure it uses. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Here is a picture of my protractor and mounted on some 20 gauge sheetmetal. :D http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0407.jpg
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Hey man...your bender came out looking real nice.Im thinking about building one as soon as Im finished with my bike.Do you think you can send me the plans?....Just a thought about the degree wheel...If you have a home improvement store near you, you can get a thin sheet of plexiglass & hold it down with a couple small sheet metal screws.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi Jeff L, it took alot of work to get it done since i was learning as i went along. I will try and find my copy of the jd2 bender plans in my folders and post them in my area here for anyone wanting to copy them etc. Still need to paint it up again soon. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Okay i am going to try and post up all 6pages of the jd2 bender plans, they are in my photobucket account so anyone who wants them can just save them or copy them. Hope it helps everyone out who wants to build one. :D :clap: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0411.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0412.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0413.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0414.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0415.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0416.jpg

Return to “Tools and Equipment”