To Die For!

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

To Die For!

Post by rudog »

While anticipating a moment of shear horror, I decided to take a break by making another pot of coffee. Procrastinating has always been one of my strengths. While waiting on the coffee, I discovered I could kill some more time by posting what I've done this weekend. I told you I was good.
Die1.jpg
Die1.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
I decided to build a weldment for the die that's stalled my build. It should provide up to 70* of bend. More than what I need. In any weldment, you need to have enough material to account for mis-alignment. Didn't do that. I trust on the grace of God, shear luck, and an assortment of hammers. The web came in @0.002" off center. I'll call that good (luck/grace).
1.JPG
1.JPG (19.77 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: To Die For!

Post by rudog »

Any slack beyond that point will be machined to the hub so the profile will be centered to the hub's thru-hole. I turned a groove into the hub to center it to the block.
2.JPG
2.JPG (17.74 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
The f-up on the right is a problem with brain-print coordination. Everything is programed using radius. For some reason I printed the CLR as 9" dia. For an entirely different reason, I programmed a 9" rad.
3.JPG
3.JPG (21.14 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Looking at the pic below. How many of you can tell what I did wrong. I cut the profile 0.025" over to allow for a cleanup pass on the lathe. See the flat spot? That should be there! Right?
4.JPG
4.JPG (19.53 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
These are the parts prior to final weld. One c-clamp and it was pretty easy.
5.JPG
5.JPG (17.65 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
No matter how lucky you are, or how much you account for error, something always goes pair shaped. After cleaning the OD (center-line-radius), it came in @4.475". I forgot to account for clean-up when machining the hub c-line. It does look good though.
6.JPG
6.JPG (19.48 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Oh, yeh! This was suppose to be a horror story. I've moved my tool as far back as I could. There's about 0.025" clearance between the insert and the part. I was hoping to do this with cutter compensation so I could squeak the profile to my sample. Oh, well! I'll just have to modify the program itself.
7.JPG
7.JPG (18.52 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
The moral to procrastination is that while you dread the tough stuff, the easy stuff comes to light. Round insert + round profile = 3 lines of code. And I'm not even done with my coffee, yet.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

OK! That wasn't so bad. This is the rough pass to check my dia. As expected it was small. Should have checked my insert. One side was toast.
9.JPG
9.JPG (15.27 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
Several cleanup passes to squeak the dia to my sample and this is about as good as it's gonna get.
10.JPG
10.JPG (17.43 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
I still have one last pass to put the tube c-line even with the die OD. I may go a little farther also. But, I'm already into my jaws. It's a sweet sound, and I'm not using that part anyway. I may just go for it.
11.JPG
11.JPG (19.97 KiB) Viewed 7370 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Hard for me to tell, but it looks like you have used layers of steel plate to build the die.
I see a weld on the flat outer face of the body, is that joining two of the layers?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

good on you rudy. keep on keepin on.
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Thanx Krymis.

Bob, the weldment is a 2x2 block, 5/8 web and 2" hub. The layering that you see is actually chip wiping from the insert. I'm not good with one-off pieces. It would take several more peices to get the speed/feed for a good surface finish. Interupted cuts on such an imballanced piece is tough.

Return to “Tools and Equipment”