hercus 260 lathe

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

hercus 260 lathe

Post by triker_chewie »

bought myself a new (to me) lathe
will take some better pics when i can
made in the 80's in australia, i was super stoked to catch this at 1/2 the usual price!
is ex school so has been used "gently"but bears a few battle wounds, the worst being the bent toolpost stud!
lucky for me the place i work at carries whitwoth bolrs or i may never have found a temporary replacement
next up is a clean and adjustment and buying a bunch of tooling
as Maz once said "if you want to make parts buy an new lathe," well i must admit i love tinkering with old shit. my mig is 30+ and i've sunk hours in fixing it my drill press was 27 when i got it and busted!i'm an electrician by trade so motors and controlling them is no problem
looking forward to making metal rounder and smaller!
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: hercus 260 lathe

Post by railroad bob »

Congrats, and I see it is movable too...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

mobile no longer! fixed my engine hoist, built a skid and lifted lathe off wheels onto skid! reason for skis is that i noticed that while on the wheels it was at a reasonable height for me (6ft 4) so i built a stand to list it up. could now be moved with a pallet jack!
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

that's a nice piece of kit dude :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Now for lesson No 1...."How to make a large pile of swarf"........ :banana-dance: :laughing-rolling:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Nice one!....did it come with any extras?? :popcorn:
triker_chewie
Lurker

Post by triker_chewie »

camr pretty much how the last student left it. 3jaw no key rh tool in the post amd a 13mm chuck in the tail
still a machine like this goes for AUD2000 so to get it as cheap as i did will pay for the missing tools
triker_chewie
Lurker

Post by triker_chewie »

righto the chuck
lathe chucs have the serial no stamped on the jaws. all three should be tha same. mine are not
also the toolpost stud is bent. made a new one on the lathe at work but i cocked the thread. oh well. next nightshift.............
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Bugger.....Just finished rebuilding my little myford, I have two chucks that came with, the self centering standard one is missing one of the sets of jaws....and its one of the things they dont supply as a part, oh well...keep an eye on the ebay lol....can you not heat the original thread and straighten it??
triker_chewie
Lurker

Post by triker_chewie »

easy enough to make another stud, i'll just not fuck it up this time :D
triker_chewie
Lurker

Post by triker_chewie »

actually found a used toopost stud on Ebay! never got around to making another one
also scored a set of jaws, so may well be back in full swing

Return to “Tools and Equipment”