New Tube Bender

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

New Tube Bender

Post by gww25 »

When the economy tanked I ended up having to sell my three tubing benders but since things are looking up again I wanted to strat a new project and needed a new bender. This time around I wanted to build a different style bender and thanks to Maz I hooked up with Frank at Got-Trikes and ordered the plans for the 'vertical' style bender he designed. This is a really nice affordable bender design for sure but never being completely satisfied I made a tour of several fab shops in my area and looked a bunch of benders including the new Pro-Tools vertical benders and some of the new JD2 machines.
After seeing the bends coming off of several different benders I'm still of the opinion that JD2 makes the most precise die-sets, at least based upon what I saw on my trip. Pro-Tools has some good ideas but the quality coming out of their benders wasn't nearly as good as what I saw coming out of the JD2 machines. Unfortunately the plans that Frank sells are based upon the Pro-Tools model 105 dies sets. To make a long story short what I wanted to do with this new bender design was to incorporate Franks basic design concept adapted to use the JD2 dies. This isn't as simple as it first sounds and I made a ton of mistakes building the prototypes of what I wanted to do. I have new dies coming from JD2 and I'll be posting plans as this projects starts coming together but I envision it as the old 'Bend-0-Matic' on steroids that is still low-bucks but high-tech.
I do like building stuff but there comes a point where it might actually be cheaper just to buy something already made and this project might end up costing more more than a store bought unit but at least I made it myself and I learned a ton of stuff about benders in general so I'm pretty happy so far.
More to follow.
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Re: New Tube Bender

Post by triker_chewie »

we apreciate the effort!
riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Post by riceburner »

Things are looking better?
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I should have said that they're looking a lot better for bike builders. Everybody else is still sliding down the tubes. I'm seeing a big upturn in small shop business and a huge upswing in interest from the garage based builders. I imagine that some of the boutique builders are still slow but that's only because of the prices they charge.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

I'm really pleased to hear your progress with the Gottrikes style bender Gary, I modified mine to my own design just as many more experienced garage builders do. I have also noticed here that there is an upsurge in garage building as folks discover they can access the tools and equipment they need to do the job properly. I also agree on the JD2 versus Pro-Tools dies comments, but JD2 stuff is much harder to get in the UK and also I tend to do mostly Diamond tube bending for which I made my own dies so I guess I'm happy with my set-up.

For those who still don't know what we are talking about or who maybe don't appreciate the versatility of this style of bender, here's anothr pic of me using mine to bend square section steel tube on the Diamond in the hall of my house - note that the bender does not need to be fixed down in any way as all the forces are contained within the stucture of the bender itself.... :banana-dance:
Frame bending001.jpg
Frame bending001.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Setting up to do the second return bend on my FZ750 top frame rails.....

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Maz wrote: note that the bender does not need to be fixed down in any way as all the forces are contained within the stucture of the bender itself....

Maz xx
That is one of the best features. And you can bend up a frame in a small area.

EDIT...

I have a few pr. of leather "cowpoke" roper gloves made of nice chinese leather. Would you like a few? PM me your mailing address and they are yours.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:
Maz wrote: note that the bender does not need to be fixed down in any way as all the forces are contained within the stucture of the bender itself....

Maz xx
That is one of the best features. And you can bend up a frame in a small area.

EDIT...

I have a few pr. of leather "cowpoke" roper gloves made of nice chinese leather. Would you like a few? PM me your mailing address and they are yours.
hey that would be nice - pm sent :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Maz xx

Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

Maz wrote:I'm really pleased to hear your progress with the Gottrikes style bender Gary, I modified mine to my own design just as many more experienced garage builders do. I have also noticed here that there is an upsurge in garage building as folks discover they can access the tools and equipment they need to do the job properly. I also agree on the JD2 versus Pro-Tools dies comments, but JD2 stuff is much harder to get in the UK and also I tend to do mostly Diamond tube bending for which I made my own dies so I guess I'm happy with my set-up.

For those who still don't know what we are talking about or who maybe don't appreciate the versatility of this style of bender, here's anothr pic of me using mine to bend square section steel tube on the Diamond in the hall of my house - note that the bender does not need to be fixed down in any way as all the forces are contained within the stucture of the bender itself.... :banana-dance:
Frame bending001.jpg
Setting up to do the second return bend on my FZ750 top frame rails.....

Maz xx
hey Maz how's it going? i like the way you set up your bender. nice job!
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

Thanks Tim, I'm really busy working on my FZ750 project at the moment plus I've been doing a lot of machining and fabricating for some local guys - and of course trying to meet my committments to writing articles for Gary's new magazine......never a dull moment :dance:

I hope to post a lot more soon, once I've caught up with everything :doh:

Maz xx

Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

cool!

Return to “Tools and Equipment”