DIY-CNC Router/Mill

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

DIY-CNC Router/Mill

Post by yona »

I want to build a CNC router/ mill that can cut wood and aluminum....I tryed to register on CncZone but they never sent the verifacation email and plees on FB page....even got an email addy for an admin and they ignored me . I want to build a base of 3" sq legs and 8/10" I-beam . The x rails will be elevated above the bed and Y will be 8020. Mobile gantry will have a Z by one of the people on CNCZone unless I can find someone else that can do it cheaper . The tops of the x rail will be surfaced and flat stock will be use to run liner motiom bearings design around what looks to be skateboard sized bearing I will probably buy a hardware kit and some of the parts I can't make . Does anyone here have any experience on doing this .....?
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Re: DIY-CNC Router/Mill

Post by krymis »

yona i do cnc builds and retrofits as a hobby. ask away and also look up JRGO it thin it is and joe's 2006 cnc router plans.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Are you on CNCZone....why is it so hard to get on that forum....most of the post are old and most of the plans call for MDO or they are for a lot of speed. Wanting to mill 2' 6061 . Clean up passes after I rough cut with a band saw....slow , steady and clean !
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Well, I have been reading for a month and joined 4 or 5 forums and have found a lot of info.......I like the steel machines on Cnczone and the Mechmate site ..... will probably be a hybrid machine....X-I-beam, X-8020 extruded aluminum, and 6061 plate and steel, with home-made carriages, using skateboard bearings...... building it is not a problem , but making it alll work together is scary !!!
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Your original post got me interested in this, looks doable, but I just don't have time to spend on another project.
Not until I get some others done first. Please let us know how this is going for you.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php

Looking at something like this , but use big I-beam and let the gantry ride on top Flange, but build my on linear carriages. use 2 pieces of 8020 extruded aluminum with the Z inside of a boxed area, using 2 short pieces of 8020....want to use a 5 1/2 hp router. Will also mount a small router head on the outside for engraving ! I am not a cad person, so i will build square and by eye and take pics .....I will be using a cogged belt system , with a 4:1 ratio.....there is a device called a PID that slows the router down for metal work , without losing torque. collecting parts now !
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

sorry yona i did not even see the replys to this thread. Cnc zone will have you squared away with any questions.

Return to “Tools and Equipment”