English Wheel DIY.

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

English Wheel DIY.

Post by justin caise »

I figured we aught to have a thread just for these - I didn't see one so I started one. Probably good to lump Full sized E wheels and bench-top styles together here.

Go.

I stopped by Awful Freight the other day to take some measurements of their E-wheel for reference in building my own bench top version and what I saw raises some questions.

The lower anvil post and mechanism seems to have a lot of play until pressure is applied, and then the anvil walks. Is this acceptable in practice? I'm gonna try to post a video (Ohhhh look out) which shows what I mean. And perhaps after I'll post links to some of the well known DIY E-wheel sites and videos I'm relying upon.
Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

Re: English Wheel DIY.

Post by justin caise »

Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

justin caise wrote: Is this acceptable in practice? I'm gonna try to post a video (Ohhhh look out) which shows what I mean. And perhaps after I'll post links to some of the well known DIY E-wheel sites and videos I'm relying upon.
Probably not acceptable, IMO.
MarkD
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello my passion is anything mechanical, machines tools engines race cars etc. My last tool build was an English Wheel. I am a machinist and engineer by trade and have two patents for timing advance for injection systems.

Post by MarkD »

Here is a picture of my English Wheel. The wheels are from HF.
Attachments
My English Wheel
My English Wheel
001B.jpg (146.73 KiB) Viewed 4401 times

Return to “Tools and Equipment”