Advice mill drill

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Advice mill drill

Post by railroad bob »

http://www.grainger.com/product/5TXF5?c ... c=IDPRRZ13

I can get this to my door for about $1724.
I want to work on small parts occasionally
But they need to be accurate with some pretty tight tolerances.
Will this do the job and is it a reasonable price?
Keep in mind I am in Alaska and have limited sources for these types of equipment.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Advice mill drill

Post by curt »

I have a small import like that I find it wont do over 1 inch holes without tripping internal breakers . it requires keeping the gibbs in proper adjustment constantly to keep any accuracy . but it does work for small stuff as long as im willing to take my time and go slow I do wish I saved a few more dollars and got a bigger or nice old one
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

You can get a full CNC sherline for about the same money. I have one of the import mini mills and my Sherline will work circles around it not to mention that the quality of th Sherline is about 1000% better. Don't let the small size fool you as these micro mills can do pretty big work only you have to go slower than with a larger mill. The Sherline can be made larger. Look for Sherline 'Monster' mills to see some examples.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks to both. I'll check on Sherline.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Tools and Equipment”