Flywheel jig

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Flywheel jig

Post by budoka »

another tool you need for disassembly/assembly of the crank is a jig to hold hold the wheels while you loosen or torque the nuts on the crank pin/ pinion shaft/sprocket shaft. Rowe makes a beautiful cast jig, but if you're like me and have limited funds, you have to do it on the cheap. here's how i'm making mine.

started with a piece of c-channel steel that is 125mm x 65mm x 6mm thick x 200mm long, and using the handy dandy handheld grinder (yeah, i'm at it again with the grinder :banana-dance: ), you hog out a section big enough for the sprocket shaft/pinion shaft to stick down through without hitting anything.

to be continued…

-dan
Attachments
tools_16021.jpg
tools_16021.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: Flywheel jig

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I just run a strap(old seat-belt etc) around the flywheel and clamp the strap in the vice,
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

oh sure, NOW you tell me, LOL. :angry-banghead:

anyway, it's fun to make tools. here's the finished product (please excuse the crappy welds, after wrist surgery i had to do it left handed).

take care,
-dan
Attachments
jigs2.jpg
jigs2.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Left handed, yeah I'm gonna use that one when I get a welder.

Return to “Tools and Equipment”