Balancing jig/truing stand

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Balancing jig/truing stand

Post by budoka »

another tool you really have to have to balance your flywheels (or your tires and wheels, for that matter), is a balancing jig. you also need a truing stand of some sort for truing your crank assembly. here's how you can make one tool to do both.

you start with some 3 or 4 inch square tubing. i cut 2 pieces 16" long, 1 piece 19" long, and 2 pieces about 15" long, then bevelled and cleaned up the edges for welding.

to be continued…

-dan
Attachments
tools_16022.jpg
tools_16022.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Balancing jig/truing stand

Post by budoka »

next, i welded the two upright pieces (the 16" long pieces) to the bottom piece (the 19" piece) to form a U shape.
jig1.jpg
jig1.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
then i welded some nuts in the 15" pieces i'll use for the feet,
jig2.jpg
jig2.jpg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
and then welded the feet to the bottom of the U shaped piece, welded in some threaded bungs, and some gussets for strength.
jig3.jpg
jig3.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
jig4.jpg
jig4.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
add some skateboard bearings and of course a little paint to spruce it up, and we're all ready to use it.
jigs1.jpg
jigs1.jpg (66.83 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Balancing jig/truing stand

Post by curt »

nice
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Return to “Tools and Equipment”