Vertical tube bender follower bar.

Use this section for posts concerning tools and equipment like benders and notchers for example.
Cherrybustin
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello, my names Blaine Bustin. I Live in New Brunswick on the east coast of Canada. 24 years old. Currently employed in a small sheet metal shop as a apprentice. Love anything to do with motors, steel and fabrication. Always looking forward to the next project and expand my skills/knowledgoe.

Vertical tube bender follower bar.

Post by Cherrybustin »

G'day,
I've been looking around and reading lots lately on tis site, there is a lot of great information and smart/talented people floating around here. I noticed that you have free plans to a vertical pipe bender, I plan to build one of these. I have one question in concerns to this , and this is in concerns with the holes for the follow bar die, there are only 4. it seems that all other pipe benders have way more, I am just curious if these four hole cover all sizes (radiuses) of the jd2 follower bars (from3/4" to 2" dies) or should there be more.
I thank you in advance,
Bustin.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Vertical tube bender follower bar.

Post by budoka »

i haven't built one of the vertical ones, so maybe someone who has will chime in soon, but until then here's my opinion.

those holes are probably not for "every" size of follow bar die, but probably are for the most common sizes related to building choppers. if you have any other dies/followers you need to use, it oughtta be a simple thing to insert the die, insert a piece of the tube you want to bend, insert the follower, then use the follower itself to mark the location for the holes for the follower.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “Tools and Equipment”