Making my oun Billet Scout Stroker pistons

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Making my oun Billet Scout Stroker pistons

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Over the years I've used Cushman and 73 Honda XL250 pistons in my Scout with Chief flywheels and Sporty Rods. Unfortunately the Honda pistons have mostly gone the way of the Dodo and the Cushman pistons are now made in China out of an alloy that I can cut with my pocket knife easier than a piece of oak. This doesn't leave a pore boy many options under $300.00 each or so. So the plan is to make a few out of 7075 round bar stock. 3" 7075 bar stock isn't cheap but I found a drop long enough to make 3 pistons for around $50.00 and some 73mm Yamaha piston rings. I parted the stock to length
Since my mill is awaiting the replacement head after the junkie next door stole it and sold it for scrap. They go to my friend Harvey who is going to cut the inside and the wrist pin holes
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.
I have a little experience fabricating things.
Hoping the yahoo e-mail account doesn't disqualify me from being a member here.

Re: Making my oun Billet Scout Stroker pistons

Post by drivermark »

"Since my mill is awaiting the replacement head after the junkie next door stole it and sold it for scrap. They go to my friend Harvey who is going to cut the inside and the wrist pin holes
Dusty"
I got lucky my "junkie next door" went the way of the DoDo so a lot less stuff comes up missing these days.
I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

its crackheads here catalytic converters disappear in mass
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Northchop
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Started building choppers in '82, became a certified motorcycle mechanic in '88 from Fairview College in Alberta, got a 1st place trophy for a Santee softail long chop I built in '93 at World of Wheels in Calgary, rebuilding/refining my '74 Norton 850 rigid long chop now. In the bush, in a converted greenhouse, in NW Canada, 100 miles from Whitehorse.

Post by Northchop »

how is the piston project goin' Dusty?
TNC from CC.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I was building the weldment to adapt the Bridgeport style head to my 1928 Oakley when the wires running to the shop lost the neutral some where underground. So I've been digging ditch mostly rocks and laying wire. As soon as Harvey found out that I couldn't do the outside soon he wondered off to other projects last time I was by he had a blank chucked in a rotary head and had milled some locating holes and said he would get right on it after Christmas. So no joy in Muddville.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.

Return to “The Machine Shop”