Adapter for Tapered Shaft

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
HybridBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a bit of a tree-hugging biker who thinks 50 mpg from my current bike sucks big time. I want 200+ mpg, and I'm determined to get it! So I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid. Electric will be a 10 KW rear hub motor, diesel will be 19 hp twin and I am going to try it with no transmission to start with.....

Adapter for Tapered Shaft

Post by HybridBiker »

I just got a really good deal on an engine for my current build - brand new and less than 1/3 the list price of a new one!

Anyway, the one drawback is that it has a tapered output shaft. I need to mount a conventional pulley wheel on the shaft. The pulley would normally mount on a straight keyed shaft. Any ideas? I haven't bought a pulley yet - I am waiting until I figure out what to do with the tapered shaft - just figuring whatever solution I come up with may restrict me with what diameter pulley to get....

Any ideas? I know little about machining. I'd be going to a local machine shop to have whatever I need made.
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Re: Adapter for Tapered Shaft

Post by concrete guy »

Your sprocket shaft is tapered??? Are we talking a Panhead? I would just run a tapered shaft pulley if I was you.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

yep, we really need to know a lot more info about the engine/shaft in question.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I think he plans to use some type of diesel motor.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “The Machine Shop”