seeking shop services

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
ampster
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: got interested in solid modeling and motorcycle designs at the same time - although I haven't built anything yet I do plan on building a custom mc pull behind trailer and will be looking for advise. My Thanks goes out to all the people who have devoted their time into keeping this type of web forum going.

Re: seeking shop services

Post by ampster »

I hear ya Max, considering the gross weight of the trailer "fully loaded" will be less that 200 lbs it shouldn't be an issue to use a u-joint - at least one that looks like what BigJim suggested.

Thanks for the hint BigJim! :greetings-wavegreen: I was going to reply 1st thing this morning and ask for any details of that u-joint...but after looking once more thru McMaster - I believe I found it.

Your pic looks exactly like the "High-Torque Needle-Bearing U-Joints" http://www.mcmaster.com/#universal-joints/=fory4j

I'm not sure about using the cast ductile iron yokes they have for their "Standard" u-joint and am thinking I should use one of their heavy-duty u-joints made entirely of forged steel instead unless someone can ease my fears/concerns of "cast ductile iron" in this type of application.

Wow! almost $70 for their cheapest heavy duty High-Torque u-joint! Is there any chance to use a standard High-Torque u-joint with cast iron parts?!?!?

edit, thought about this over lunch, I'd want to weld the u-joint in and not use those set screws shown. You don't want to consider welding cast iron do you?
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Yeah , scrounge one from a road tractor salvage yard !

For what you planning , a "U" joint from a 1/2 ton pickup should be overkill !!

:lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

As far as welding goes , consider using the ends of a drive shaft cut off and reversed to each other so that what you are going to be welding to is the cut ends of the shaft ! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
ampster
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: got interested in solid modeling and motorcycle designs at the same time - although I haven't built anything yet I do plan on building a custom mc pull behind trailer and will be looking for advise. My Thanks goes out to all the people who have devoted their time into keeping this type of web forum going.

Post by ampster »

I had sent an email to one of the big junk yards in the state asking for info on a used u-joint, and I explained what I would be using it for....not surprising I never received a reply! Suppose I gotta get off my lazy rear and actually go speak to someone!
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

ampster
Tourist

Post by ampster »

I had considered steering u-joints in the beginning BigJim, but they are smaller and don't do a good job of convincing me they’ll hold up. I had even found a nice fully chromed one, but turned out to be about the size of one of my finger knuckles which didn't set my mind at ease.

I'm still leaning towards that high torque joint you found. Some of the parts I can return to McMaster will just about pay for one of those.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

I've seen a '67 mustang with a 9" rear from a 1/2 ton pickup truck (original u joint) yank the front wheels 2' into the air and stay there for at least half the 1/4 mile track !!

Not once but several times on the same day , and I dont think it would be physically possible for you to subject your trailer hitch to anything like that level of stress !!!

:auto-dirtbike: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “The Machine Shop”