seeking shop services

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
ampster
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: got interested in solid modeling and motorcycle designs at the same time - although I haven't built anything yet I do plan on building a custom mc pull behind trailer and will be looking for advise. My Thanks goes out to all the people who have devoted their time into keeping this type of web forum going.

seeking shop services

Post by ampster »

OK, so all I gots in metal forming tools are drill bits and hack saws :lol: which I could use to make this part I think if needed.

Can anybody help out and create a part for me out of 2" x 2" x 1/4" sq tube, that is a little over 4" long?

Reference attached pdf's. The part is shown in coupler.pdf

Just so you know, I can very easily think outside the box and model something in 3D that cannot be built! While I don't have any formal training in strength of materials or designing, I know enough about the CAD software to be dangerous!

Can this part be made?

How much would it cost to have this part machined out of some 2" sq tubing? I'll gladly pay for any material/s, labor and shipping.

This is for a single wheel trailer I'm working on this winter. I have a few purchased parts now and am ready to begin work on the frame. Once I get moving on this project (and take some pics) I'll post a thread showing the progress and all.

TIA if anybody can help out

Steve
Attachments
u-joint-example.pdf
(168.84 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
coupler.pdf
(69.4 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: seeking shop services

Post by Jeff L »

I would suggest you save the money & make that part yourself.If you have a Supply house near you, the tube can be had for next to nothing.I really couldnt see that taking more than a couple hours with simple hand tools.The best part about that is the pride of homemade goodness.Wait a minute...two best parts...money saved can be put towards more tools.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I recommend you not use a pin for each end of the coupler.
I built a steering column using 2 sections of square stock and a u-joint in the middle pinned at each end, and the steering took considerable more effort in some locations of the rotation than in others.
I switched u-joints and used a slip fitting on one end to fix this.

You cannot do that for a trailer tongue, so I suggest one end of the coupler be converted to some type of swivel connection.

Sorry for the formal tone, I'm used to having everything I write be professional in case there is an audit or lawsuit...
Here's some smilies to make up for it...
:auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike: :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :laughing-rolling:
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Make it yourself dude, should take about an hour with ordinary hand tools......if I was nearer I would offer to make it for you..... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

ampster
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: got interested in solid modeling and motorcycle designs at the same time - although I haven't built anything yet I do plan on building a custom mc pull behind trailer and will be looking for advise. My Thanks goes out to all the people who have devoted their time into keeping this type of web forum going.

Post by ampster »

tks for the replies so far

Yeah Jeff, I already picked up a piece of sq tube, but I goofed and only ordered just enough for one. If I do this by hand, I'll go pick up some more cuz I know I'll screw something up!

rr bob, when you suggest a swivel connection, do you have anything in mind? Obviously a normal ball hitch won't work on a single wheel trailer.

I did not show or describe the internal hinge points...

You can see the 2" long x 1/2" diameter shoulder bolt heads sticking out. On the inside however I have needle-roller bearings pressed into the smaller, 1 1/4" x 3/16" sq tubes. In between the smaller and larger sq tubes, I have 1/8" thrust washers (yeah yeah, I know it may not be a perfect 1/8" gap in there...will deal with that when making it), the stronger type, not just the plain bronze oilite thrust bearings (I forget what McMaster Carr called them)

With that type of setup, do you think there will be any binding?

Tks Maz, I seen your reply too...looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty (and I'm sure a bit o cussing will help!)

Let's see, a pro says it will take 1 hour...weekend warrior here so I'll take about 3 to 5 hours!

Happy New Year all!

Steve
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I think I gave you bad advice. I just realized you're planning a single wheeled trailer.
A swivel connection would just allow the trailer to tip over.

Bad, bad, bad advice.
Here is an interesting link to a thread about towing trailers with 2 wheelers.
http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=36119
It has several links that might go to more info.

I also saw a couple of different hitches that are similar to what you propse, so apparently it works well.
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

I was trying to find the post from the previous site about the trailer and the coupling................ :think:
ampster
Tourist

Post by ampster »

yeah Bob, I wasn't too sure either about this concept. But there's alot of info online indicating single wheel trailers have been around since 1950 (give or take, http://www.singlewheel.com/) and it was actually the post max is referring to that inspired me.

The attached pdf is a drawing of that type of connection, I believe it's either from the other post max mentioned or it's from another website where the original author of that post (user name Thomas on the old CHB website IRC) had posted info regarding his trailer.

We're sort of concerned however of the oillite bushings in that design. Yes, those type of bushings are made to wear but our concern was would they wear down so quickly to cause the trailer to wobble.

The intent of this trailer, while for hauling extra stuff around is the obvious, the goal for this trailer will be that it needs to handle a planned 4,500 to 5,000 mile trip next summer out to the west coast and back. Sure, I plan on bringing tools, spare tubes and/or tires for the trailer, etc, but it would be nice to hope it makes it all the way without any troubles.

We originally found a u-joint at Fleet Farm that could work, however my concerns are those are rated for RPM's or for a "rotating" type of use and not rated for a "pulling" type of use.

Next week, I'll start a build log on this - I'm really looking forward to hearing some feedback/advice from everybody here on it.

ugh, back to tackling a virus on me mom's pc...friggen M$ operating systems!
Attachments
sheet-metal_u-joint.pdf
(153.32 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Here are a couple pix of u-joint style couplers...
hitch.jpg
hitch.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 7299 times
hitch2.jpg
hitch2.jpg (6.2 KiB) Viewed 7299 times
The top hitch seems a home made copy of the lower one.

I understand the concern about the towing forces being detrimental to a u-joint configuration hitch, but if a common u-joint is used, it could be easily checked, and easily replaced if needed. I don't think it is a strong concern, because the trailer will have minimal friction on one tire. The use will be minimal compared to a u-joint in normal service in a driveline, and the wear should be minimal because the strongest force will be during fast start-up and hard stopping. During normal sustained travel, the towing force will be very minimal, unless carrying an extreme load.

Your design will function like a u-joint, but will it be easily repaired if it wears faster than expected? That would be my only concern if it were mine, and I don't think it's a strong concern, IMHO...
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

The thing about those is they allow flex from side to side and up and down, but will let the trailer tip only so much.......I had one the was worn and I used strips of old innertube and wrapped it tight and used easy-ties to bind it, to take out the slop.....same as using elect. tape to wrap an old flex-socket, when using a long extention, to get it on the bolt head.....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

yona wrote:.same as using elect. tape to wrap an old flex-socket, when using a long extention, to get it on the bolt head.....
God damn it.....I never thought of that.....simple but ingenious
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Bikesandfires
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 54yo, fat, balding, bearded motorhead living in the hills of Eastern Ky. 35 year and counting firefighter, retired from 31 years as a crane operator, car nut from birth. I hope my free-mail account doesn't keep me from becoming a member of this message board. Current toys: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, 1967 Sunbeam Tiger clone project, VW trike project, 18' Thundercraft boat.

Post by Bikesandfires »

Because the bearing isn't making full revolutions there will be excellerated wear to the joint compared to what it would when the joint is used in it's usual application. but since it really isn't going to be moving much at all...just a few degrees in each plane....I'd think the trailer would wear out before the coupler would
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

The trailer will only have one wheel.....

Should be able to lean with the bike if any tipping is needed.
TANSTAAFL
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

and if you get one off a 4x4 or a tractor they'll have grease nipples for lubrication..

I would think that the forces involved with towing a light weight trailer would be different but minimal as apposed to its designed use

Return to “The Machine Shop”