neck cups

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

neck cups

Post by Tim B 1640 »

not sure if i'm in the right area but i'm going to ask anyway. i'm going to machine a set of neck cups out of stainless and i was looking at the drawing that is in the download section and my question is are the measurements that are shown in the drawing for neck cups or for the bearing races ? thanks
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Re: neck cups

Post by jimmib »

As it says, "NECKNOCUPS". The drawing is for a complete neck to install just the bearing races. The Timken bearing (cone) and race (cup) numbers are on the drawings. I would get your races, measure O.D. and machine for press fit. Usually around .005". Although this may vary some depending on bearing manufactuer.
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Re: neck cups

Post by Tim B 1640 »

thanks for the help

Return to “The Machine Shop”