Large Radius Tool

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Large Radius Tool

Post by Maz »

I never finished my post on the old forum about the large radius tool we made for my lathe....

Here's a selection of thread finishers made using it....
MazChopz Sylver Bullet 008.jpg
MazChopz Sylver Bullet 008.jpg (118.82 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
I don't have any detailed drawings at the moment but I do have a lot of pics if anyone is interested.....

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: Large Radius Tool

Post by budoka »

yes, please! i need to make one for my little lathe and the more ideas, the merrier.

i really need to quit my job so i can play full time, LOL.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

ya i been wanting to build one for my lathe too
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Well I've promised a lot of posts so I better get busy with it real soon....... :banana-dance:

As you've been kind enough to create this place for us, the least we can do is help make it a great place to play :dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im a simple guy a couple tools and some metal ill play all day
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

curt wrote:im a simple guy a couple tools and some metal ill play all day
No dude, that makes you a complicated guy........ :think: ......the simple ones don't need metal and tools to play all day....... :banana-dance: :laughing-rolling:

But I'll post some stuff about the radius tool soon :dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

come tax time ill be buying some tooling i found i need for the lathe . trying to talk the boss into a milling machine for the shop. nothing fancy probably all manual and no dro but ill take what i can get . and hopefully a nice standup bandsaw for cutting out those trees (i mean those machine parts) lol
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

good plan :banana-dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

budoka wrote:yes, please! i need to make one for my little lathe and the more ideas, the merrier.

i really need to quit my job so i can play full time, LOL.

-dan
i cant quit mine thats where i do most of my playing
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

I just love playing :banana-dance:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

wanna play doctor :lol: :lol:
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

curt wrote:wanna play doctor :lol: :lol:
funnily enough I have a cute little nurses outfit........... :shifty:

Maz xx

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

:dance: :dance: :whistle: :whistle: :banana-gotpics:
Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

I may have a photo or two lying around somewhere........ :snooty:

Maz xx

Maz
Biker Mistress

Post by Maz »

I may or not post my "nurse" pics but here's some details of the large radius tool build..... :snooty:
This tool is designed to be reversible and also to have a larger swing than conventional radius tool designs. For this reason it is fabricated rather than cut from solid steel and has a supporting plate that clamps onto the lathe bed....
I won't give dimensions or plans cos it needs to be made to fit your own lathe.....

Here's the main components...
RT 004.jpg
RT 004.jpg (128.22 KiB) Viewed 7438 times
Here's a side shot showing the fully adjustable mounting into the tool post....
RT 008.jpg
RT 008.jpg (170.4 KiB) Viewed 7438 times
I'll post some more pics later but I need to resize them first.....

Maz xx

Return to “The Machine Shop”