Stroking stock flywheels

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Re: Stroking stock flywheels

Post by riceburner »

we tried a couple ways, one was just to weld up the hole and re-bore the offset, then we tried filling the hole with the then of a pin welding up then machining the offset, filling the hole with weld and boring was an easier process - but in reality both methods sucked, I wouldn't recommend it, we never got to the point of getting the one with the pin in it running especially after the welded offset failed. At that point we figured it was better to just get the parts from S and S.

If you are serious about doing it I would get some chunks of material and machine your own flywheels, then have them heat treated, ground tapers and balanced.
Questionerofall
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been around bikes my whole life & riding since 16. First bike was more or less a basket-case 73 sporty. Welder by trade these days, have been to MMI (harley program). Currently beginning a teardown, chop & rebuild project on a 1980 flt.

Post by Questionerofall »

Riceburner...
Going the route of filling/plugging & re-machining actually were my first thoughts, when I began contemplating doing this. Since I'm only doing a "minor" increase in stroke (.250" or .125" on the radius) the difficulty of relocating shouldn't be dramatic... at least in my mind.
I've also heard mentioned that it could be possible to make an offset crankpin, which is an option that is being taken into serious consideration.
But I can see where making a set from scratch could be a much more "sound" path to follow.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge & experiences.
Semper Fidelis
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Post by riceburner »

I don't know if anybody makes an offset pin for a H.D. or not, I know they are used in dirt bikes looking for more stroke (longevity is poor there also), problem there is the created leverage point exasperated by crank and rod angle.
Questionerofall
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been around bikes my whole life & riding since 16. First bike was more or less a basket-case 73 sporty. Welder by trade these days, have been to MMI (harley program). Currently beginning a teardown, chop & rebuild project on a 1980 flt.

S&S does make replacement "stepped" crankpins for the older models (UL and such), but if going this way...it will be custom made for me by the machinist I work with. All I'll need is to get my hands on the proper material.
Semper Fidelis
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Here's my thoughts. A set of T&O wheels is around 350 bucks, unbalanced/bare. Why reinvent the wheel? Machinist time in our area starts around 80/hr. I know you say you have a machinist friend but REALLY???? Save the money, get some wheels and put your time and effort into something more feasible. My 2 pennies.
Questionerofall
NewB

Yes, he REALLY is a friend & we also work together. He'll be helping with all the machining (including the heads.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I'm going primitive. Because that is what the budget allows since the engine/trans are the only things I'm keeping, everything else is going to be bought, custom built or fabricated...
Semper Fidelis
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Questionerofall wrote:Yes, he REALLY is a friend & we also work together. He'll be helping with all the machining (including the heads.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I'm going primitive. Because that is what the budget allows since the engine/trans are the only things I'm keeping, everything else is going to be bought, custom built or fabricated...
I wasn't questioning if you had a friend that is a machinist........just questioning the realality of doing all this work on such a critical part of the engine. Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest COB around. I have bought good stroker wheels with shafts for 100 bucks on ebay. Just food for thought was all I was getting at. ........Scott
Questionerofall
NewB

thanks Scott,
I've been dredging through ebay and the horse's swap board for a month or so, with little that seems to hold much promise...but I'm still looking and considering all the possibilities.
Semper Fidelis
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Return to “The Machine Shop”