home brew right angle drive

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

home brew right angle drive

Post by gearhead1951 »

Looking at the prices of 1 to 1 right angle drives available I had a thought (a rare and fleeting occurance these days)

How hard would it be to use the axle (half shafts) ends and the diff gears they spline into for making a custom RA drive ?

Harvest those parts from any fwd car trans and machine up a body to support them and you have a part you could not buy anywhere for the money you would have invested in it this DIY project !

:think: :auto-dirtbike: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: home brew right angle drive

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Have any sketches? I have no imagination or eye for design.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

This is for a GoldWing. Got it on BikeBandit. The biggest problems I see are the large bearing/seal and the weight of the hub.
Attachments
HJ390089.gif
HJ390089.gif (40.23 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

that GW final drive isn't a 1 to 1 and if yer trying to put an automobile engine on two wheels a 1 to 1 is what you need !
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

So, your wanting to convert shaft to chain??? That's even easier. Several yrs back I downloaded a "Spiral Bevel Gear" catalog from "Arrow Gear Company". It's loaded with tech details for the 90* drive. (It's too big to post here.)
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

I got one of these :D
Attachments
Photo0321.jpg
Photo0321.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

What did that come off of Max ??

Rudog I think you are in that group that thinks " It's better to spend money and save time and trouble" !

I am in the one that has LOTS of time but little money , this is a hobby not a business so if I can save money by expending X amount of time I'll grab my tools and get to work !

I am a life long scavenger and repurposer so it comes natural ! :lol: :dance: :auto-dirtbike: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Sorry GearHead, I don't spend money anymore either. I've collected a set of tools so I can build whatever I can imagine. It is a different mindset.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

That comes off the back of a tractor transmission for belt drive inplememnts, which are pretty much extinct these days. I love old barns me.. :D
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:Have any sketches? I have no imagination or eye for design.

Bump,bump.......?
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

No sketches , just an idea I had trying to figure a way to get a piece of equipment as cheaply as possible !

The bevel gears that each axle spline into seems to me to provide an excellent start for a right angle drive that should not beyond the skill levels of any practiced machinist !!
:think: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
rudog
Conventioneer

Post by rudog »

Double check the angle of those bevel gears. The ones I have here aren't 45*. They may not mesh properly.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Well if that IS the case then one axle gear and one idler gear would definitely make a 90 !

Like I said before , this is just an idea I threw out there to try to help !! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Look for a light (Aluminum) differential from anything that could handle the power and remove one axle ... that would give you a 90 degree ... a lot of small cars have aluminum IRS's.... Use a axle stub and make a mount for a chain gear.. like the Boss Hoss bikes....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

And like the GW rear wheel drive , yes it's a right angle drive but not a 1 to 1 ratio like what I am talking about ( good idea though) !

(P.S.) check out my thread "notes on trike building"

Return to “The Machine Shop”