Is this THE machinist handbook everyone is always talking ab

An area for all Q&A's about machining.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

Is this THE machinist handbook everyone is always talking ab

Post by justin caise »

Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Is this THE machinist handbook everyone is always talkin

Post by curt »

now that's some nice info there thanks for posting
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

[quote="justin caise"]259 pgs or so, in PDF...
Yep , that's it ! Most usefull book I have ever owned !
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

It looks like it starts on page 749. Alot of info is missing, but still good stuff
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Machinery hand book is a good one
South Bend's "How To Run a Lathe" is another lauded as the best
Vol 1 MACHINE SHOP PRACTICE by K.H.Moltrecht yet another
Manual of lathe operations and machinist tables Atlas-Craftsman My favorite.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

The Amateur's Lathe by L H Sparey comes highly recommended also.
Originally published in 1948, and reprinted as late as 2007.
Includes a chapter about milling, shaping and Grinding on a lathe.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
SoCalBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've got motorcycles in my blood. Growing up with my dad riding them, I feel like I've always had my fingers tightly wound around handlebar grips. My taste for bikes and the family are strong and the only bike I'll ride is one that's been stripped down to the essentials. I don't care for all of high tech stuff on the new stuff. I just want simplicity. not a Limousine on 2 wheels.

Re: Is this THE machinist handbook everyone is always talking ab

Post by SoCalBiker »

man, i do miss having my copy of the machinist's handbook. i also had a CNC programming book that was stellar. I can't think of the name of it at the moment but I'll look it up and edit this comment when I get the information.

oh! and thank you for the link to that pdf! that's awesome to have now!

Return to “The Machine Shop”