Sporty's

Sportster Chops, Customs and tech.
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Sporty's

Post by joechop »

damn shame there's nothing in this cat. ...gonna have to change that. I got something cooking
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Sporty's

Post by curt »

dont cook the cat my old lady loves that dam thing
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

Post by Ghostrider61 »

Joe,

I think you may remember me and my scooter. We did a lot of back and forth when my heads came up missing. Long time ago.

Here's a recent shot of the bike:

Some stuff has been changed out (headlight bucket, mimi speedo and tach under the bars, and some other small stuff).

Had ta get a Sporty on here!!!

DB
Sporties Rule
jedi
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Engineer from New Zealand. ( from the forum old board ) that lost this place through the issues that it suffered.
Have built and still currently building various projects all the time.
This site has always been the nuts and bolts site that the more technical issues are examined and dealt with.

Post by jedi »

damn shame there's nothing in this cat. ...gonna have to change that. I got something cooking
I should have something coming along shortly I hope. I have got to clear a couple of other projects first but I have a build in the pipeline.

Good to be back on here again after a board meltdown, glad to see this place is alive and kicking again :dance:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Heeeeyyy, good to see ya on here again.
Hope everything is well in Kiwi land. No rebuilding necessary on your part I hope...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Found another good source for sporster info www.xlforum.net !
pilgrim
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 50 something male biker Ex UK Forces 6 years Behind the Mast and 8 years Behind the Colours with a 1000cc ironhead bobber under build sent this link by Big Jim so thought I would give it a go.Always trying to fuind people to make one off parts over here but they are a little thin on the ground or booked up for years Had to book my tins in a year in advance just wish i had the talent. In construction so hit the same as the world over money is tight but hanging in there

Post by pilgrim »

Imageg]

Heres the start of mine to try and keep you amused The ole 1979 1000cc one year only iron head got this out of a barn where the nice man had only put 5549 miles on it!. stripped it down and got fed up so went and bought something else. I paid £1800 for it and sold all the bits I didnt need back on Ebay for £1400 The guy only invested in good items to go back on it and it came with Stainless brand new wheels tyres and three starter motors plus a load of other bits that have helped make this a cheap build.The bike is at my mates garage and that is a cobra Replica in the back ground wiating for my bike to be completed before it gets worked on. As with all ideas this has evolved along the way. Now has a sprockster rear brake and some of Big Jims brass work heading accross the Pond. More to follow if you dont mind it not being a chopper
pilgrim
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: 50 something male biker Ex UK Forces 6 years Behind the Mast and 8 years Behind the Colours with a 1000cc ironhead bobber under build sent this link by Big Jim so thought I would give it a go.Always trying to fuind people to make one off parts over here but they are a little thin on the ground or booked up for years Had to book my tins in a year in advance just wish i had the talent. In construction so hit the same as the world over money is tight but hanging in there

Post by pilgrim »

Image]

Frame back from powder coaters and YES we have cut out the centre post and transferred the strength further back this will also be supported by a internally braced steel mudguard (or a fender as is known in America)
pilgrim
NewB

Post by pilgrim »

Image]

We do have talented people over here as well Steve from Dirty Earnies Choppers which is a loose collective of mates that turn out bikes in their spare time turned this one off headlight bucket it took 6 hours with all the steps in it and another two and a half to do the bronze bezel and the Bates 4 and a half sealed beam unit fits like a glove. This set the theme (an over used bloody OCC word!!!) for the rest of the turning as you can see on the risers in the picture
pilgrim
NewB

Post by pilgrim »

[Image

They do say that the devils in the detail so to link the brass accent pieces together front to back I asked Steve to turn these Brass covers as most of the brass turns to swarf its an expensive idea and really got to him as the machine setting up proggraming and cleaning far out wieghed what he charged me so hats off too him for that I just have to be carefull not to over do it and turn this into a bling barge, piant work is going to be kept a secret so please dont ask
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

love the light....but would mount it lower off the bottom tree... JMO... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

look into metal spinning , a lot less time , money and material and the finished product can look as good as "carved from billet" !
pilgrim
NewB

Post by pilgrim »

Image]

off the lift at last
Tim B 1640
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: well i'm just reregistering from the club before but i'm a union laborer in boston ma and i'm working on a sporty build with an S&S 100" sporty motor and this is my first build. i built my frame with the help of tigman and i will be running a 250 rear tire with a piece of 6" copper pipe for my oil tank as well as a springer front end

Post by Tim B 1640 »

nice lookin build lets see more! :auto-biker:
stipa
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was a member on the old forum. Currently working on my '74 XLH hardtail, and getting ready to recon another '74 engine, (CH), that is going in a 'dirt" frame.
Just happened to traps through here and see the forum has been rejuvenated, so.....

Post by stipa »

pilgrim wrote:Image]

Frame back from powder coaters and YES we have cut out the centre post and transferred the strength further back this will also be supported by a internally braced steel mudguard (or a fender as is known in America)
Really like how you did that with the seat post; bet is adds quite a bit of rigidity towards the stern there. Have some more pics to post of that, some different angles?

Steve J.

Return to “Sporty Section”