Super B, anyone?

Sportster Chops, Customs and tech.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Super B, anyone?

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Spent yesterday finishing the wiring on my sporty, a few more details and she should be ready to go, for a minute. Pics coming soon. She is a late '84, 1000 cc, and has the 3+ gallon tank. Here is my issue, 85 miles to tank. My proposed solution, does anyone have a spare super b they will part with? She is currently gulping the fuel through a super e shorty. I bought her as she sits. I know the ignition and coil are aftermarket. I was told to take the number to the dealer to see what all has been done, I haven't bothered since it doesn't seem that important to me.

Over the years, I have seen a lot of hot rods that are held back by being over carbed. Everything that I have read says the "b" will flow a larger engine than mine with no issues. If that is true, then I may have to jet it up IF owner 1 actually did any serious internal work. Does that sound reasonable?

All my years of experience are on brits and metrics, along with dirt and trials bikes, this is my first Harley, so feedback is appreciated. Her name, by the way, is Molly B. Her last name varies with her mood.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Super B, anyone?

Post by curt »

i had a iron head sporty with a shorty on it it should be fine if jetted right and thats about the mileage i got with mine the b carb is a good carb but no accelerator pump have to roll into it slowly or you get the dreaded bog
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Ahh. This is the first bike I have had with an accelerator pump, anyway. If I'm not hard launching it shouldn't be a big issue. Hmm, if I do this I will definately clean the shorty and store it till I decide if I like it. Is the b a longer carb body than the shorty? That may make some difference to me.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

the b is much longer great top end carb
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Damn. Thats a pro and a con. My knee is already hard against the airfilter, and I need a couple of inches extension for the highway peg already. But I do love top end. Oh well, one issue at a time. I already need to change the front pipe for forward controls. Adding carb length to the equation, maybe I can fab a set thats up and out enough to cover both issues... I will have to work on that one. Thank you.

Return to “Sporty Section”