58 sporty project

Sportster Chops, Customs and tech.
chopper900xl
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: was a member of the site for several years..... somehow or another lost my username and passy but im back. :-) building a 1958 900 sporty chopper for quite some time on and off. love chopper with my very core. machinist..welder... anything I can do to help anyone with anything please drop a line anytime.

58 sporty project

Post by chopper900xl »

Well the cold weather has dried up all the outside honey-do's so onto my long awaited project but i need some help. a while ago in the neet stuff there was a sporty frame with plans...cant find it. :think: anyone happen to retain this that could pass it along to me? anndddddd i have come across a scad of stainless 1.5" tubing but its only .065 wall.....any one have specs on whether or not this particular wall thickness would be suitable for my build? stainless for one is a concern....but wall thickness is the real question i guess. will send pics as the come.
They look at me strangely cuz I'm different;
I look at them strangely because they are all the same.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: 58 sporty project

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Gary has a section on "tubing" on this site.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

065 is a bit too thin. some stainless grades welds better than others and some are not even recommended for welding applications. Other than that I won't even pretend to know the ins/outs about that material (there's just too much to it), other than to say be careful and 065 is too thin, in general.
chopper900xl
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: was a member of the site for several years..... somehow or another lost my username and passy but im back. :-) building a 1958 900 sporty chopper for quite some time on and off. love chopper with my very core. machinist..welder... anything I can do to help anyone with anything please drop a line anytime.

Post by chopper900xl »

my initial thought was its too thin as well but just figured id as...the price was right. FREE. :-P
They look at me strangely cuz I'm different;
I look at them strangely because they are all the same.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Free is good, but trade it or use it for something else.
My 2 cents worth...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Jaxon uses stainless in his ISG frontends.... he would know what type and thickness....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Below are the two most commonly used tubings for frame fabrication. With a minimum of 0.120" wall thickness. Although bike frames have been built with all types of materials, including stainless, aluminum and chrome moly,(and I'm sure hrew and pipe!) you should stick with the norm, especially if this is your first build.
ASTM A-513 (CERW-DOM) Carbon and alloy steel mechanical tube manufactured by cold forming and electric resistance welding of cold rolled strip.

A-513, Type 2 CREW.Type 2, as-welded CREW (Cold Rolled Electric Weld) tube. CREW is usually supplied in 1010 grade.

A-513, Type 5, DOM.Type 5, welded and drawn-over- mandrel (DOM) tube. DOM is usually supplied in 1020 or 1026 grade.

By the way the .065 stainless is not suitable. Buy tubing from a reputable supplier. Don't use something a bud has laying around unless you are sure what it is.
I am sure this is covered on the main site and Gary's CD's.
Hope this helps, Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I would imagine the frame dimentions haven't changed a whole lot over the years themselves probably just the motor mounts due to the different engines build the frame to the evo spec leaving the motormounts off put it in a rolling chassis prop up the motor with the chain or belt to the rear wheel and build the mounts to fit the motor as long as the belt is strait to the rear wheel and the rear is strait to the front everything else is pretty much up to your eye shouldn't make a difference if its to evo spec or pan unless your trying to be true to oem just a thought :think:
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I have seen buells and sporties in big twin frames.

Return to “Sporty Section”