Diesel Twin Test Run

Like it says above.
HybridBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a bit of a tree-hugging biker who thinks 50 mpg from my current bike sucks big time. I want 200+ mpg, and I'm determined to get it! So I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid. Electric will be a 10 KW rear hub motor, diesel will be 19 hp twin and I am going to try it with no transmission to start with.....

Diesel Twin Test Run

Post by HybridBiker »

Picked up my new diesel engine for my current build the other day. I'm building a diesel-electric hybrid cruiser motorcycle.

Well, the engine is new to me - it has been slightly used - only one year old. Dog-gone thing seems to run like a champ - fires up instantly. Loud as hell - and I mean the engine, not the exhaust - darn thing clicks and clangs and knocks and all the things that diesels do - so cool! :banana-dance:

Anyway, here is a link to four pictures of it and a video of a one-minute test run. At low idle this thing shakes like there's no tomorrow - my mirrors will be shaking way more than any Harley! :auto-biker:

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... est%20Run/

The engine is an Italian-made Lombardini. 851cc air-cooled parallel twin. 19 hp and about the same torque as my 650 V Star. Now all I have to do is figure out how to fit it into the frame I am building...... :confusion-shrug:
YoungSport
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I have been working with Chris C aka Krymis for the past year at Penn College. I am currently working on building a springer front end for my 01 sportster. Krymis has been helping me with this and teaching me what he knows of motorcycle building. I would like to be a member of this forum so that i can further my learning of building motorcycles. this has been a passion of mine for a long time due to my fathers passion to ride. I was a member of the old fourm but was very overwhelmed with classes therefor i was not very active and now i have the time to learn what i have wanted to learn for many years.

Re: Diesel Twin Test Run

Post by YoungSport »

im diggin the idea. that sounds like it will turn out sick. Im just trying to think of how confused the gas station clerk will be when you go in for 8 or 9 dollars of diesel fuel ha ha

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”