"pig nose" conversion

Like it says above.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

"pig nose" conversion

Post by gearhead1951 »

There is a cone cover panhead on ppg 22 of Januarys issue of Back Street Heroes that has had the cone replaced with a cover that sports an old style " slab side" distributor !

The editorial on the bike calls it a "pig nose" conversion but try as I might I caint find any thing on the web or anywhere else by that name , Does anyone have anything on this thing ?? :think: :angry-banghead:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: "pig nose" conversion

Post by railroad bob »

Can ya post a pic? Doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of, at least by that name.

I think S&S makes a case set that is the early pan "slab-side" with electronic ignition where the distributor would normally be, but has an alternator left side.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

This what ya a talkin' about???
Cone, flat side, generator.
I've never seen one with a setup for a dist.

NSFM
Attachments
2011_11010009.JPG
2011_11010009.JPG (106.26 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
If it has two wheels---trike it.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I got no way to post the pic just now , but if you go to a new stand that carries the mag it is in Back Street Heroes as I said at the begining !

It has no other alteration but for the right side cover being replaced with a "form fitting" plate that allows what appears to be a stock HD distributor to engage a camshaft driven gear to operate it ! Looking at it I understand the "Pig Nose" description !

:lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

gearhead1951 wrote:I got no way to post the pic just now , but if you go to a new stand that carries the mag it is in Back Street Heroes as I said at the begining !

It has no other alteration but for the right side cover being replaced with a "form fitting" plate that allows what appears to be a stock HD distributor to engage a camshaft driven gear to operate it ! Looking at it I understand the "Pig Nose" description !

:lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I think these might be the :banana-gotpics: you are referring to......but I have no idea how they happen to be on here :whistle: :naughty: :hand:
save0001.jpg
save0001.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
save0002.jpg
save0002.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
save0003.jpg
save0003.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
The text says its a Panhead with Shovel cases......

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Yeah , thats it !! That is a cone cover bottom end with a conversion to the earlier style distributor setup !!

Never saw or even heard tell of such a thing before !!
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

not sure if these are anywhere close, from evilbay
Attachments
pig snout 2.jpg
pig snout 2.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
pig snout 1.jpg
pig snout 1.jpg (2.65 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Fat Mike
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just drooping in..the more the better.
Been riding 45 years, everything from a Sears and rare back mo-ped, Harley's.
Right now riding and building trikes.
Don't know what else to say.**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Post by Fat Mike »

I do a lot of looking around at swap meets ets...woooooooooo, neve seen and animal like that.

Woops hold it.....not the same motors...if ya look close..
The center pic is a true cone lower, not generator. That looks like the distributor is run off a gear where the points (sending unit etc.used to go).
The bottom pic is a flatside (slab side) where the distributor really goes on one.
The top pic...ya got me..can't see it good enough.

NSFM
If it has two wheels---trike it.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Ahhh Mike , I am sorry to tell you that all three of those pics are the same bike from the magazine article I referenced ! ;) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

The "pig nose"reference seems to apply in the top photo, you can see a resemblance in the part that is below the carb.
In the center pic, you see it from the side, extending forward from the carb, but below center of the air cleaner.

I don't think the pig nose caption refers to the cases, but without reading the text, its hard to tell.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Post by jbfrmca »

i think that is a cone for a magneato with a slabside timer on it. cool looking for sure.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

jbfrmca wrote:i think that is a cone for a magneato with a slabside timer on it. cool looking for sure.

Definately a mag cover for a shovel or evo .....i have one for a shovel somewhere , but never got that mag Weyland promised ...LOL
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

I found both "Morris" and "Joe Hunt" mag conversions to a FB mag , similar to the cover on the bike in question but no cigar , They just look like a cone cover modified to run a mag but the "pig nose" is clearly cast special for the purpose !!
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Joe Hunt cast cover for a Mag....Vertical..... Image

Joe Hunt Cast cover for a Mag....Horizontal.... Image

Morris Cast cover for a Mag..... M-5 Vert..... Image

Cars is a chromed S&S like I found on the old Harman Shovel ...
but carb exited on the left side .... Cool
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Early Iron
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've been building and working on motorcycles for over 35 years, I own a bike shop and I am a tool & die maker. I'm into old motorcycles more than new ones, and am also into old machine tools. I mostly build my bike from old parts or parts that I make.

Post by Early Iron »

That looks like an old Morris, magneto cam cover from the '70s or early '80s with a gen.motor timer in it.
Mark.

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”